Help support your MeetupChip in
Draft (verb) :
1. To follow another cyclist (or motor vehicle) so closely that the leading vehicle takes the brunt of the wind resistance, and acts as a windbreak for the drafting cyclist.
2. The process of dispensing beer from a bright tank, cask or, keg - by hand pump, pressure from an air pump or injected carbon dioxide inserted into the beer container prior to sealing.
Based in the Triangle Region of North Carolina - we ride for fun, camaraderie, and to raise money to combat Multiple Sclerosis in the weekend-long Bike MS event held in New Bern, NC each September.
We are a very inclusive and diverse group where you don't have to be a "hard core" road biker to join in a ride. We ride in several locations around the Triangle. We host regular 15+ mile training rides on weekday evenings in summer months. We host longer distance pick-up rides on weekends all year and our members participate in several organized charity rides around the Triangle throughout the year.
Anyone interested in road cycling with a group is welcome to join us for a ride. It helps if you like to have adult beverages after the ride, because we do!
Now to get all legal-like... rules to keep in mind when riding with us:
1. Wear a helmet. We hate trying to wash other peoples blood out of our sweet jerseys. Accidents happen, and helmets save lives.
2. We adhere to a No Drop policy on our Tuesday and Thursday group rides. This does not mean that someone will ride beside you the entire time. It does mean that the group or a designated ride "sweep" will stop at turns to make sure slower riders stay on course or that anyone having trouble gets assistance. YOU MUST BE ABLE TO AVERAGE 13 MPH TO RIDE WITH US. It is unfair to the ride sweep to have them ride less than an AVERAGE OF 13 MPH. Our rides do include hills.
3. You are responsible for bringing an ID, bike tools, spare tubes that fit your bike, and any food and hydration you require. We try to schedule longer distance rides (25 miles and above) with a rest stop at a convenience store, but this is not always possible. Our weekday training rides do not have a rest stop (until the end when the pints are served!)
4. By signing up for messages regarding our rides, and coming to a ride with us, you acknowledge that road cycling is inherently dangerous, and that Team On Draft is not responsible for your safety on the road. We plan our routes to try to avoid traffic and road hazards, however there are no guarantees when you are riding. Team On Draft and our Ride Leaders cannot be held liable for your safety on a group ride.
5. If you haven't heard about Rule Number 5 - ask someone who knows about Rule Number 5!
Platinum Sponsor! 10% of all Tuesday tap room sales go to Bike MS.
Diamond Sponsor! Ask for your Team On Draft discount!
Silver Sponsor! Come into Town Hall after TOD Monday rides!
Silver Sponsor! Come to La Cocina after TOD Thursday Rides!
Bronze Sponsor! Come in after the TOD Wednesday Rides!