We will be working the morning kitchen shift, which means prepping food (chopping, sorting, etc). No special skills are necessary. Project Angel Food is a wonderful organization that provides freshly made, nutritiously-appropriate meals to men, women and children affected by HIV/AIDS, cancer, and other life-threatening illnesses. (Volunteers also make deliveries directly to clients, although our shift will take place entirely in the kitchen.)
What you should know
(From Project Angel Food)
Please remember the following essentials:
· Please arrive promptly at 8:00am for your orientation. We will begin your orientation when all the participants arrive.
· Please wear closed-toe, rubber-soled, flat shoes when working in the kitchen. No sandals.
· Wear comfortable clothes (No cut-offs/mid-riffs, cap sleeves or tank tops, please)--shorts are okay when working in the kitchen.
· No hanging jewelry.
· You will need to cover your heads so either bring a baseball cap or we will provide hairnets.
· Anyone who is sick will not be able to work in the kitchen. Please let us know and we will have them do something else.
· Your AM kitchen shift will end around 12 noon.
· You will be encouraged to take staggered breaks throughout the shift. Please don’t all take a break together.
Afterwards, we can go grab something good to eat and get to know each other!
I will forward Project Angel Food's Volunteer Contract and Release of Liability form to you when you RSVP, but do not worry if you don't have a printer, since I will have hard copies on hand at the event.
NOTE: Project Angel Food is counting on us having a full roster of volunteers in the kitchen. Please promptly let me know if you can no longer make it after RSVPing. If you are planning on an intense night of partying on Saturday night, maybe an 8am Sunday roll call is not the best idea (and fear not, because we have a lot of opportunities all year long!).
For everyone else, this is a wonderful way to spend a Sunday morning, and you will still have the entire afternoon for your other weekend plans.