Nov 10, 2012 · 8:45 AM
This location is shown only to members
- SPACE IS LIMITED FOR THIS POPULAR EVENT -
Register with One Brick and Reading to Kids today (see note below)!
Reading to Kids is dedicated to inspiring undeserved children with a love of reading. RTK coordinates reading clubs at elementary schools in downtown Los Angeles where adult volunteers are paired up and read aloud to children and create arts and crafts projects about the stories.
Each child receives a book to take home and the books read aloud are donated to the school's library. Reading aloud to children imparts a love of books that leads to improved literacy, to a more successful education, and to a brighter future. On average 764 children and 322 volunteers are at these reading clubs dispersed at seven Los Angeles elementary schools.
At the monthly reading clubs, pairs of volunteers read aloud to small groups of children, while their parents receive training on how to encourage their children to read at home. Kids, parents, teachers, and school libraries receive book donations at the end of the Reading Clubs. These are important donations, as 60 percent of low-income homes do not have age-appropriate reading materials for children.
Since its inception in 1999, Reading to Kids has given more than 99,598 prize books to children who attend the reading clubs, donated more than 17,854 hardcover books to school libraries, and our volunteers have spent over 114,723 hours reading to kids.
RSVP for this Event:
- Please note that in addition to signing up with us, you need to register directly with Reading to Kids here: http://www.readingtokids.org/RSVP/VolRSVPConnect.php
- Feel free to register for the school that is most convenient for you. One Brick usually volunteers at Magnolia Elementary.
- Please select "One Brick Volunteers" as your group.
- Please make sure to register with RTK early to secure a spot.
- A reminder will be sent out 1 week ahead of the event date should anyone need to cancel due to schedule changes.
After the event, in the long standing tradition of One Brick keeping it social, we gather with other RTK volunteers for snacks and beverages at El Cholo on Western Blvd.