addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Open Source Finance Message Board › Corrupting Influence of Money on Politics: Lawrence Lessig at UC Berkeley, 1/29

Corrupting Influence of Money on Politics: Lawrence Lessig at UC Berkeley, 1/29

Marc J.
joffemd
Walnut Creek, CA
Post #: 22
http://www.rootstrike...­

I thought I would make you aware of this event since some people expressed an interest in the Money & Politics hackathon at Stanford. Personally, I am concerned about big money interests dominating public policy, but I am also concerned about some of the proposed remedies which could compromise our freedom of speech.
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for alerting me. I'd like to hear you address your concerns.

Byron Hale
Marc J.
joffemd
Walnut Creek, CA
Post #: 24
Sure, I see a close connection between freedom of speech and private property. If the government owns or controls all broadcast media, freedom of speech becomes meaningless. You need to own and be able to exercise unfettered control over media in order to effectively exercise free speech in a large society like ours.

Attempts to limit the influence of money on politics often involve restrictions on the ability to contribute money for the purpose of spreading a political message. I don't see how the government can do this without trampling on free speech. I don't object to restricting the amount a campaign can spend - as a condition for ballot access. But I do have concerns with restrictions on what independent issue groups or PACS can do or spend.

What do you think?

Peter V.
user 80532392
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Free speech is on the internet ... accessible to all.
A former member
Post #: 9
I'd like to hear more about that. I was concerned about SOPA/PIPA, and the same rose by different names. The apparent attempt of Obama's FCC Chairman to allow further consolidation of corporate media and the attempts of the telcos to further control mobile computing use come to mind in the same thought.

Politicians follow public opinion at some tipping point or other. Lessig was able to connect me with David Segal, who survives and mourns Aaron Shwartz. Lessig confirmed that Segal was in deep mourning. Segal is now alert to any urgent attempt to re-implement SOPA, etc. while Aaron's body is barely cold.