Open Data Brighton and Hove Message Board › Open-data Cities Conference

Open-data Cities Conference

Greg H.
user 11285989
Brighton, GB
Dear ODBH member,

A quick note to let you know about the inaugural meeting of a "steering group" - on Tuesday, November 8 - to help organise next year's Open-data Cities Conference.

First, though, a catch-up on our last #ODBH meeting and the report of heartening progress within Brighton and Hove City Council, from Paul Brewer (@pdbrewer) and Jack McAngus (@rocketgarden).

If you haven't caught up with it yet, take a look at Brighton and Hove City Council's open-data page. In particular, take a look at the "School Admissions" dataset and the school open-data guide highlighted by Paul.

Another noteworthy discussion was prompted by a contribution from Danny Hope (@yandle), who said it might help if brief videos were made of council officers explaining specific datasets and suggesting some uses to which they could be put.

This also led to a proposal for an online environment in which developers could engage with each other - and with those with special interest in particular data.

Instead of the usual monthly ODBH meeting, I'd like to timetable a meeting of an "Open-data Cities Conference Steering Group" at 7.30pm on November 8 (at Cogapp's offices).

A few people have already expressed interest in helping to organise - and seek sponsors + speakers for! - the conference on Friday, April 20 2012.

If you are able to commit the necessary time to do some of the work in the coming months, please email or call me: 07801 569541.

Speaking of Danny Hope, I'm sure we all wish success to the one-day UXBrighton Conference that Danny is organising on Friday, November 4 at Brighton Corn Exchange.

I was going to urge you to snap up one of the last tickets - but it looks as if it has now sold out! I hope you got yours in time!

For interest, these are the UXBrighton Conference speakers:

Best wishes,

Greg