OpenStreetMap Seattle Message Board › Join me in Hack for Change - Seattle.

Join me in Hack for Change - Seattle.

Clifford S.
Glassman
Group Organizer
Mount Vernon, WA
I'll be working on adding building and addresses to Seattle. If you are interested, but need help using JOSM, come to the event. Or if you just want to contributing to OSM, please sign up.

This event is not being hosted by OpenStreetMap Seattle, so sign up at:

http://www.meetup.com/Code-for-Seattle/events/113040382/­

This wil help the organizers determine how many people they need to feed!

Only a handfull of slots are left so sign up soon.

Clifford

AKA Glassman
a-e
ashley-E
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
It was great to meet so many of you today at the Seattle Hack for Change/National Day of Civic Hacking event. (And thanks for posting about it here, Clifford -- that was the reminder I needed to make sure I was able to get that on my calendar!)

I learned a *huge* amount about OSM and how I can see putting it to use. (For those that I didn't corner there today, I'm particularly interested in getting accessibility information into OSM: curb cuts, audio crossing signals, mobility barriers/impairments, etc. Would be great to be able to have enough data in to have decent (or any!) wheelchair routing done for Seattle. Or an app that shows where disabled parking can be found...)

For those that weren't there: there's now a group working on a project to help the City of Seattle Parks Department get some 'micro-mapping' done: The Parks department wants people to be able to map things like trash cans, picnic tables, accessibility ramps, etc. in the parks. The group made some great progress on the back-end and is exploring different ways to implement/use a front-end that is simple and straight-forward enough that it will actually be used. (One of you folks that is working on this can perhaps post how we can best follow the project/contact someone on the project for updates.)

Michael P. worked on the same project, but from a different perspective. He focused on a possible underlying architecture: how & why a separate 'OSM instance' / "parallel universe" could be set up to gather & store the data, and then have that data imported into the official OSM whenever it's right to do so. (Michael, you can chime in/correct me.)

Thanks to everyone that took the time to share their enthusiasm and knowledge with me!

I'm really looking forward to helping out, learning more, and getting out to do some mapping with you all.

- Ashley E ("a-e")
ashley@ashleycaroline.com