At 2 pm we will attend "Sarah Ruhl's Quirky Hit Comedy Dead Man's Cell Phone'" at International City Theater followed by dinner at ASHA Moroccan Mediterranean (.2 mile from the theater).
Please do not RSVP until you have purchased your ticket to the play and answer the question as to if you are coming to dinner so I have accurate numbers for the restaurant. Thanks!
At 2 pm we will attend the play "Dead Man's Cell Phone" at International City Theatre at the Long Beach Performing Arts Center at 300 E. Ocean Blvd in Long Beach.
In Pulitzer Prize finalist Sarah Ruhl (The Clean House, Eurydice) romantic comedy the peaceful ambiance in an otherwise-quiet café is interrupted by an incessantly ringing cell phone. A stranger at the next table has had enough. Discovering that the phone's owner is dead, she answers the phone -- and soon finds herself dating the dead man's brother, sharing cosmopolitans with his widow, and meeting his mistress for a mysterious rendezvous. The café patron's odd odyssey to set things right for the dead man results in resurrecting her own life by forcing her to confront her own assumptions about morality, redemption and the need to connect in a technologically obsessed world.
This play has very favorable reviews (note that these are for performances other than ICT):
- Satire is her oxygen. . . . In her new oddball comedy, Dead Man's Cell Phone, Sarah Ruhl is forever vital in her lyrical and biting takes on how we behave." - The Washington Post
- "Satire is her oxygen. . . . In her new oddball comedy, Dead Man's Cell Phone, Sarah Ruhl is forever vital in her lyrical and biting takes on how we behave." - The Washington Post
- "Ruhl's zany probe of the razor-thin line between life and death delivers a fresh and humorous look at the times we live in." - Variety
- "[Ruhl] tackles big ideas with a voice that entertains" - NPR
- "...beguiling new comedy...Ms. Ruhl's work blends the mundane and the metaphysical, the blunt and the obscure, the patently bizarre and the bizarrely moving." - New York Time
Tickets are available from Goldstar for $28.00 (ticket & service fee).
To purchase and sit with the group go to:
The International City Theatre has 289 seats that are set in 13 rows in a half-round shape, allowing excellent visibility from any seat
$10 parking is available in the garage of the Long Beach Performing Arts Center at 300 E. Ocean Blvd in Long Beach.
There is $3 parking in the lot at 1st and Elm.
There is metered street parking. Please be sure to read the signs!
ASHA Moroccan Mediterranean Restaurant @ 149 Linden Ave in Long Beach
This is a neighborhood restaurant with good food and service at reasonable prices. I have always enjoyed dining at ASHA.
See the menu at: http://ashalb.com/menu/
See the Yelp reviews at: http://www.yelp.com/biz/asha-moroccan-mediterranean-restaurant-long-beach