add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Orange County Sierra Singles 20s,30s,40s Message Board › Your next outdoor adventure...

Your next outdoor adventure...

James H.
user 10269960
Irvine, CA
Hi Guys,

Thanks for coming out to the last backpack of the year! I hope you all learned a little about the backpacking experience and about yourselves as well. If you’re relatively new or inexperienced to all of this, I would highly recommend the Wilderness Travel Course offered by the Sierra Club. The deadline to sign up for this 10 week class is December 15th. The course is a cheap $320 (which includes a roundtrip via bus to the Sierra Mountains for snow camping) and is only this low because it is taught by unpaid volunteers.­

For those of you looking to gear up, I’ve uploaded the schedule for REI Used Gear sales for the remainder of the year here:­ The next sales for Huntington Beach and Tustin are on 12/29. If you have any questions, I’m a gear nut, so I’d be more than happy to answer any questions.

We’re always looking for new leaders in the Sierra Club. After spending the weekend with all of you, I know that any one of you would be a great asset to our group. If you’re interested in leading (biggest perk: deciding where you’re going), please drop me a line and I’ll let you know how to get started. The process is pretty simple: a one day leadership orientation, first aid and CPR certification, and a provisional hike/backpack to a destination of your choice.

Don’t forget to upload those photos! If you have any suggestions for a southern California backpack you’d like to do in January/February, please let me know as I have to start scheduling events soon.

See you on the trails!

A former member
Post #: 19
Hi James,
I know someone that can provide first aid and cpr training and he charges less than most venues.
To keep the cost low, he has provided this training at the home of one of the trainees.