PDX Wine & Adventure Enthusiasts Message Board › New Poll

New Poll

This message board is read-only.

A former member
Hi All!

In order to help me plan upcoming events, I would love to have your input on a poll that I posted. I set up the majority of our events, so your input is important to me.

Normally, at wine tastings, many cases of wine are sold. At tastings for our group, very few bottles are purchased. The venues, where we meet, are hoping that you will purchase wines to support their business. I hope that you buy wine for the same reason. The tastings I set up are from my company.

I truly would like to have your feedback. If the poll questions do not truly fit your answers, please feel free to email me.

Thank you!

Kathy
A former member
Post #: 5
Hi Kathy

I believe a couple things are going on here. I do believe that most people come just to socialize at the Meetup events. I'm guessing that wine purchases only happen when the selections make an impact. At some events, we taste fabulous wines and get generous pours and then I try to at least purchase a bottle or two. But just as often, the wines are simply so-so and there doesn't seem to be much of an effort to describe the selections or why they were chosen and on top of all that, the pours are somewhat scroungy - all these factors occurred at the last event. When this happens, I feel no obligation whatsoever to make a purchase.

It would be interesting to correlate wine purchases at events where the feedback was overwhelmingly positive versus ones where the reaction to the wines or venue was simply luke warm.

-Ranjit
A former member
Post #: 1
Hey Kathy,
Well I voted " I'm there to socialize, not to buy wine" however I do usually do end up making purchases. Last nite at Gem what I bought wasn't anything we were tasting. The wines being tasted were certainly drinkable but really didn't suit my palate. What I didn't know was that you are hosting these events in order to make money off the sales of the wines being tasted. I know that there is no such thing as a free lunch in this world and I usually try to support my local wine merchant (or winery) but I thought that purpose of these events were to meet and network with people in a social environment. I take exception if the purpose is for the host to make money at the end of the nite. If that's the case, I'll start hosting some events myself as well as wine bus tours (which I do several a year for usually for fun, not profit).

I've only attended a handful of events and have enjoyed the overall experience. There was one event that I attended where all the wines featured were 'organic' and when I wanted to buy a couple of bottles to take home I was told that they brought in enough only for the tastings, none for purchase. Go figure.

So I guess I'm confused what your goal is here. I like to socialize. I like to talk about wine. I like to drink wine. If I like what I'm tasting and it's available for purchase, I'll buy some to take home. What I don't want is to feel obligated to buy wine just because it comes from a particular distributor because they're doing it for profit. If that's the case, then I'll just run up to Freddy's with my wine bag and get the 6 bottle discount on wine I already know and like.
A former member
Post #: 8
Hi. Kathy. I've been thinking about this a bit more, and it's not like I feel "obligated" to buy wine, I just think it's polite, considering the events I have been to have been hosted by businesses. If they don't feel like their business benefited in some way, what would be their incentive to host events there? I hosted an event at my home, and would just like to be able to say I broke even. If I was up to spending a couple hundred dollars on food and wine to have a party at my home, I would invite my personal friends. A meetup may be an overlapping set, with some of my friends involved, but it's also an opportunity for others that have common interests to "meet up". I think this is a great discussion, because finding venues is one of the primary problems I am having with my group. If nobody wants to spend even $20 on an evening out, then the overall setting will have to reflect that in some way.
A former member
Post #: 37
I appreciate all of the input that y'all are giving. This is why I posted this poll.

In order to plan the events, I need to know what you, the group, are really looking for.

As far as the choices of wines, perhaps not being what some are looking for.....can you give examples of wines that you would LOVE to taste. Of course, remember, price will come in to play as some of the fabulous wines are out of reach in our price range. A previous poll showed the the group only wants to spend $15-20 per tasting.

To respond to the size of pours, legally, in Oregon, it is a one ounce pour. At tastings, I believe many due 2.5 ounces.

Also, to respond to the reason wines are selected....the feedback from the Italian tasting, where Tom Kelly spoke about the wines...was that people wanted to socialize and not be "schooled". That was the phrase used by one email I received.

So, this is why I appreciate your feedback. I have not been able to figure out what this group is truly looking for at event. If it is simply to socialize, great. If it is to learn more about wine, great. If it is to get blitzed....okay, not great. LOL!

Thank you, all, for your input!

Kathy
James
Y-Span
Portland, OR
Post #: 18
I'm surprised to learn that anyone would be participating in this group with the aim of making $$$. I've hosted a number of events, always for social reasons. My tastings have typically generated a reasonable amount of sales, and in a couple of instances the shop owners were very, very pleased with the total. I would mostly attribute this to the fact that the shop owners usually selected good wines and poured generous servings. I'm glad to see them increase their bottom lines when they make the effort to insure that we have a great wine experience.
A former member
Post #: 38
Again, one must be careful with those "generous servings" Too large and they become "illegal". LOL!

As far as people being involved in order to make, as you say "$$$", many in this group do that....from those in the wine biz to those in real estate, to those in insurance, to those in "name the field". I have witnessed a lot of "I do this for a living and I can help you." You KNOW that is not out of the kindness of the heart but for the lining of the wallet. I have been approached by some in the group, with their wares. I have the choice to investigate their businesses or not. I have to say, one person, who claimed he would give me info in his line of biz (in this group) never did and yet, asks me for wine info all the time. *sigh*

Face it, the title page of this site is now an ad....it wasn't a year ago, when Erin organized the group.

Is it right or wrong? All depends on the outlook of the individual member.

The original concept of my query here is that, this is the ONLY group that I have ever done tastings for, that consistently shows a lack of wine purchases. Honestly, I did almost the same line-up at a tasting two days after the last tasting at Gem and over seven cases of wine were purchased. This group bought 5 bottles of the same wines. Again, no right or wrong, but I would like to know what this group really wants....which seems to be socializing and "oh, there is some wine to drink, okay." That is fine. The good thing is that, now, I know this...about this group. This information is very helpful. It tells me not to allow accounts to purchase large amounts of wine, thinking that the group will purchase them. Perhaps they should bring in the two bottles each that the group tastes and then take special orders for any purchases.

I really appreciate your input. The whole purpose of my query was to get input.....in the past, no one responded.....this request was controversial, and FINALLY, got a response.
Steve T.
user 7578372
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I think you have a variety of participants that attend the meetups and each group attends for their own particular reasons. If you are targeting the attendees that are likely to buy cases then perhaps the wine store owner should market to them better. Don't treat volume purchasers like we are a walk-in off the street that needs to have their hand held and be given a lot of advice. For that service people should be happy to pay full retail. Some of the attendees probably would characterize themselves in that manner but the volume buyers are less likely to need that kind of attention and more likely to purchase for other reasons.

By that I mean giving volume buyers a reason to purchase a 1\2 case or full case. People that buy a lot of wine know where to find deals and so if you want to sell to them offer them some incentive. For exampe offer 1\2 case and case discounts or mixed case and six pack discounts, or wine clubs, or gift packs for the holidays or offer wines they can't buy at Fred Meyer's for substantially less.

Freddie's is currently offering 15% off all their bottles in addition to the 10% you can get off for buying a six pack - that pencils out to about a 23% discount off retail for 6 or more bottles. If a wine shop owner offered me that kind of deal on their entire inventory you can bet I'd be happy to buy a case. There can still be profit for the wine shop owner but to make it a win - win situation the attendee should feel like they are getting a deal too. So the profit may be less than the store owner is used to but the volume would allow them to still make a good profit.
A former member
Post #: 39
Steve,

Thank you for you input. Well said.

One thing that I would like to point out...the current pricing at Fred Meyer is 15% off the "front line" price. Meaning that they are taking 15% off the highest price that would be asked of this wine. Distributors send wines in to all retail and restaurant accounts at "post-off", which are the sale prices of wines.

So, the 15% off, is really not a deal, and in fact, in many cases caused prices to go up on many wines. Many consumers will not realize that. Although on the popular "stack" wines, they will.

Small retailers cannot match the big box store prices as the big stores can afford to price a wine a 10% over cost. Small retailers have a much higher cost of living than the big stores. It will cost the little guy more for rent, electricity, etc. as they do not have the volume of business nor the other products that can help drive sales. Small retailers are "destinations." You will find yourself in Fred Meyer to buy lettuce and cheese....and oh, by the way, better pick up some wine.....as opposed to a small shop where you have to say "I think I will go visit ABC Wine Shop and get some Syrah."

The last paragraph of your post says it all..."So the profit may be less than the store owner is used to but the volume would allow them to still make a good profit."

Again, that works for large retailers, but not for the smaller shop. :-)