addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Orlando Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Message Board › Need some advice for my next chapter!

Need some advice for my next chapter!

Michael G.
gemmatim
Oviedo, FL
Post #: 1
Chapter's 1-5 of my manuscript were written prior to me joining this meetup, but now I can ask you amazing writers for advice as I begin Chapter 6. smile

I have an idea for the opening of the Chapter where Elvamir (main protagonist) will not be present in the scene but will enter it later on. Where I need help is on how I handle POV in that scenario? How have you, or any author you've read, dealt with that? I've read some authors who handle POV change through some physical separation of paragraphs (either spacing or maybe some line or other mark) but that's usually scene-shifting as well. This will be Elvamir entering the SAME scene, that's already begun its narrative. My only idea I have is to cheat and break out of the scene, back to Elvamir BEFORE he enters it (time travel), so I can claim his POV, and then have him eventually enter it right where it left off before but now I'm already in Elvamir-view.

Thoughts? Advice? Help! shock
David M.
user 15355891
Orlando, FL
Post #: 9
Chapter's 1-5 of my manuscript were written prior to me joining this meetup, but now I can ask you amazing writers for advice as I begin Chapter 6.
Thoughts? Advice? Help! shock
Hi, Michael. I would handle this with a scene break as with any shift in time, location, or POV. In manuscript, a scene break is often identified with a marker like ### or *** or something. I don't think there is a standard. I've seen some publishers leave these in, especially if the scene breaks at the end of a page, otherwise they just leave a blank line to indicate the shift.
Michael G.
gemmatim
Oviedo, FL
Post #: 2
Thanks, David!
Judy C.
JudyC53
Altamonte Springs, FL
Post #: 3
Hi, Mike!
I've encountered this, too, and while my solution may not fall in line with the die-hard POV Police, I'm told it worked well enough. I can send you an excerpt via email if you like, or give you a link to where the book is posted temporarily for a contest I'm running. I think I can link you right to the page. If not, I'll see what page it's on in the e-version so when you open the book, you can find it right away. I guess you could describe what I did as a transitional-omniscient POV (I doubt that's an actual term, but it seems to fit, lol). Let me know if you want to do this, so I can send an email or the link. Talk to you later. ')
Laurie W.
user 98949182
Orlando, FL
Are any of the characters you already introduced in the beginning of the scene? No reason you can't visit their POV. They have met him and would share a certain amount of his thoughts and insight- not quite like Spock does, but once characters meet they do have a certain amount of joining in thought that occurs... There is a legitimate "3rd person multiple" which allows for a few involved characters viewpoints, without going full-on into the God perspective.
Michael G.
gemmatim
Oviedo, FL
Sorry, just seeing these recent responses. Thank you Judy and Laurie! Judy, I'm happy to take a look if you can email me the link, thanks so much!! And Laurie, I will look up that 3 person perspective you mentioned. Thanks for your help everyone! :)