add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Orlando iOS Developer Group Message Board › Need some advice on program

Need some advice on program

Mark H.
user 40246872
Daytona Beach, FL
Post #: 1
Hi Guys,
I want to ad a "ticker" news feed to an iOS app. I usually can just do a little googling and get several ideas on how to implant what I need, but no luck this time. Any ideas on what direction to start with would help. The ticker should move slowly across the screen and be fed from a web server (RSS, XML, Plist or whatever). Here is a link to an image to help visualize what I am thinking of doing.

Mark H.
user 40246872
Daytona Beach, FL
Post #: 2
I really need to proof my work better, I am looking to add not ad (advertise) a ticker. I also am not looking to implant anything, how about implement duh.
John D.
user 7287749
Orlando, FL
Post #: 4
Hi Mark -

The iOS SDK offers tools that allow you to programmatically draw text and buttons in a view then animate them. If you use a button users would be able to tap on the text as it scrolls by and load more information.

John DiSalvo
DiSalvo Technologies, LLC
"Providing top quality solutions with premium customer support!"
Ben G.
user 63031572
Orlando, FL
Post #: 2
Hi Mark,

This is just an idea (meaning I haven't implemented such a thing), but you might try a horizonal scrolling collection view. It would give you the ability to "select" any ticker item by using the collectionView: didSelectItemAtIndexPath: delegate method. You would also have full control over the layout and presentation of each ticker item. Once loaded, the collection view could be scrolled automatically by animating it. Another advantage is the memory management gains of using a collection view's reusable cells. You would need a way to add to/remove from the collectionview's data source, but that shouldn't be too difficult if you already have a way to fetch the ticker data from an internet feed of some kind.

Sorry the idea is a little light on details, but if you haven't found something already and want to discuss the above further, feel free to contact me.

Ben Gohlke
Mark H.
user 40246872
Daytona Beach, FL
Post #: 3
Thanks for the tips, it gives me a starting place. It sounds like an interesting idea, to make it interactive.