Dear Ottawa Cognitive Science meetup,
It has been a great year and we have had excellent meetings. I have met a number of terrific people with interesting ideas and insights. The membership is very diverse (like cognitive science itself) and may be looking for a variety of different things. We have had some great presentations on philosophy of mind, applications of cognitive science, and other popular topics like the possibility of telepathy.
I have posted, attended and enjoyed many of the Institute for Cognitive Science meetings at Carleton, and we have had some good turn outs and discussion afterwards. We have not been very successful at getting out the students or profs to our own events however.
I would like to talk about
- varying the venue from time to time
- defining sub-themes so that different membership elements can identify what is what
- topics and format for discussion nights
- guest speakers we would like to invite
- topics members are willing to present to the group
- possible cross-attendance at events with the Montreal Cognitive Science meetup
- trying to attract the members of the very active ICS Students association
- getting better linkages with Carleton and the U of Ottawa
I prefer Sunday, Monday or Wednesday nights for the meetup due to my schedule with my kids. I am open to some variation on venue and having more co-organizers for different themes. My own interest is computational modelling of the mind and applications that could become business opportunities.