Welcome to OttawaBabel!
OttawaBabel aims to provide a fun and relaxed atmosphere in an environment where speakers of many different languages come together to practice speaking a different language in a real-world context and make new friends with people from all over the world!
Our gatherings usually take place in a bar or coffeeshops and we mix and mingle together. Our goal is to have a night-out with an international crowd. This is a group for people who love languages and different cultures.
Guidelines/Code of Conduct
• Your Profile – This is what tells both the organizers and other members who you are:
- Use your real first name, and at least the first letter of your last name.
- Fill in the profile fields and ensure you answer all the questions.
- Post a picture which clearly indicates your face so we can recognize you when you come to meetings
• $5 annual contribution, please see Giorgio
• Attendance at first meeting within 2 weeks of joining to confirm membership. Please do not join if you don't intend to attend our meetings (they are a lot of fun!). This is an active group for people to participate, share and learn about language and culture. If you already belong to 6 or more meetup groups this is probably not a group for you.
• Attendance of at least one meeting once a year
HOW IT WORKS
OttawaBabel is an active group where members participate, learn and help others. The idea of the group is that you give help to the group (helping those who are learning your native language) and you get help from the group (you are helped by others who speak the language you want to practice). This way everyone benefits! When you arrive, just introduce yourself to Giorgio or 'V' (Véronique) and they will introduce you to others who speak the language you want to practice to get you started.
We get started every Wednesday around 7pm and the group is usually there until about 10pm. Please RSVP for each meeting you wish to attend. The full calendar is on the website for members. We also meet on Sunday afternoons in a coffeeshop.
How to Babel:
1. RSVP for each meeting! If you have a smartphone please look for the app (android/apple) and download. It makes it easy to see what upcoming meetings there are as well as RSVP. We do ask that members RSVP for each meeting they plan on going to as a mark of courtesy to other members and our hosting venues.
2. Be open-minded and respectful
We are a very diverse group. You'll meet people from all over the world and all cultures. Enjoy the chance to have the international experience in Ottawa! When you register please list at least your first name since we all want to be on friendly terms.
3. Tip your bartender!
Although it's common not to tip in many cultures, it is very much a part of Canadian culture, so remember to leave a tip for your bartender, even if you buy a drink directly from the bar.
4. Ask the organizers!
If you have any questions, concerns, problems or ideas, please talk to Giorgio or 'V' (Véronique) about it
Remember, this group is a hobby for us; we run it just for fun, we love it and we hope you will love it too!
New members must be approved by the Organizer
Content of this Meetup Group is only visible to members
Wednesday, August 31, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, September 4, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, September 7, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, September 11, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, September 18, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, September 21, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, September 25, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, September 28, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, October 2, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, October 5, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, October 9, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, October 12, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, October 16, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, October 26, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, October 30, 2016 2:00 PM
Wednesday, November 2, 2016 7:00 PM
Sunday, November 6, 2016 2:00 PM