Welcome to OttawaBabel!
OttawaBabel aims to provide a fun and relaxed atmosphere in an environment where speakers of many different languages can come together to practice speaking a different language in a real-world context and make new friends with people from all over the world!
Since our gatherings take place in a bar, there is usually music playing and we mix and mingle together. Our goal is to have a night-out, with an international crowd.
Guidelines/Code of Conduct
• Your Profile – This is what tells both the organizers and other members who you are:
- Use your real first name, and at least the first letter of your last name.
- Fill in the profile fields and ensure you answer all the questions.
- Post a picture which clearly indicates your face so we can recognize you when you come to meetings
• $5 annual contribution, please see Giorgio
• Attendance at first meeting within 3 weeks of joining to confirm membership
• Attendance of at least one meeting once a year
HOW IT WORKS
OttawaBabel is an active group where members participate, learn and help others. The idea of the group is that you give help to the group (helping those who are learning your native language) and you get help from the group (you are helped by others who speak the language you want to practice). This way everyone benefits!
When you arrive, just introduce yourself to Giorgio or 'V' (Véronique) and they will introduce you to others who speak the language you want to practice to get you started.
HOW LONG IT LASTS
We get started every Wednesday around 7pm and the group is usually there until about 10pm. Please RSVP for each meeting you wish to attend. The full calendar is on the website for members. We also meet on Sunday afternoons in a coffeeshop.
How to Babel:
1. RSVP for each meeting! If you have a smartphone please look for the app (android/apple) and download. It makes it easy to see what upcoming meetings there are as well as RSVP. We do ask that members RSVP for each meeting as a mark of courtesy to other members and our hosting venues.
2. Be open-minded and respectful
We are a very diverse group. You'll meet people from all over the world and all cultures. Enjoy the chance to have the international experience in Ottawa! When you register please list at least your first name since we all want to be on friendly terms.
3. Tip your bartender!
Although it's common not to tip in many cultures, it is very much a part of Canadian culture, so remember to leave a tip for your bartender, even if you buy a drink directly from the bar.
4. Ask the organizers!
If you have any questions, concerns, problems or ideas, please talk to Giorgio or 'V' (Véronique) about it
Remember, this group is a hobby for us; we run it just for fun, we love it and we hope you will love it too!
544 Social & Food Enthusiast
1,417 Going Out Rockstars
1,577 Music Lovers