Ouray Canyon Festival Message Board › Rescue or Evacuation Insurance

Rescue or Evacuation Insurance

Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 709
I just got off the phone with the company that provides what some people think is backcountry rescue insurance for members of the American Alpine Club. On 'Global Rescue's' web site they clearly state that 1. they are not insurance 2. they operate much like AAA Auto Club: in order to use their service you must call in during the incident and one of their preferred providers must be assigned to the rescue.

Since most of southeastern Utah, or Death Valley and numerous other popular canyoneering areas, does not have cell phone service this is an impossibility unless a group/ individual is carrying a satellite phone. Here is a link to the provider's web site for your further information. I made that call to avoid creating a false sense of security when someone says 'Oh, I am an AAC member and I have evacuation or rescue insurance through that organization'. Haa! Think again . . .

http://americanalpine...­
AJ
aj.outdoors
Boulder, CO
Post #: 41
This is where Ouray differs a little. Many canyons you CAN get cell service. Also, I'd say at least half the canyons have more escapes possible, where you could get out of the drainage and get higher up so you could get a cell signal. So, it MIGHT be more of a possibility in Ouray. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure though. Be safe... ;)
Aaron S.
user 49764332
Denver, CO
Post #: 1
With the SPOT Beacon they do offer an insurance policy for rescue. The policy costs $17 per year although you would have to invest in the device($150) and their service plan $99/year.

With my smartphone I can send a nightly check-in "I'm okay" or custom messages(change in itinerary or ask for help such as dead car battery) to family on multiday trips or areas with poor service. No more driving 20 miles down a dirt road searching for service just to check in.

Some might argue its expensive but fairly cheap when you consider the nature of the activity and potential costs of a rescue. One downside for canyoneering is you will likely have to send someone to an open area or outside the canyon before you send out a signal. I do agree with AJ that Ouray is unique in better cell service than we are normally use to in other areas.