Join Out Astoria in scenic Astoria Park for a Picnic with some extra activities.
So the weather gods are smiling on us this weekend and we’re going to actually go through with this picnic/social/thingy!
We've fielded a lot of questions about the event – and let us put your mind at ease…this is most likely going to be more of a picnic outing with a few activities that people can participate in or not – there is no set agenda that will be followed. If people want to socialize and chat, have a few nibbles and enjoy the sunshine, that’s fine. If a few people want to pair off and play a round of badminton, that’s fine too. Whatever works for us…the day will be played by ear and not be stressed out over.
A few things to remind you of:
1. Alcohol isn’t allowed in the park…that said…be discreet…transfer things to other containers and remember a Poland Spring bottle can hold a lot of *ahem* water of the “V” or “G” variety.
2. Obviously you don’t need to bring food for 40 people – but if you bring something that can be shared (particularly if it’s a food that’s your specialty) that would be great. Out Astoria will be bringing something for everyone – and that leads us to…
3. Bring something that’s easily shared – we’re going to bring some plates/napkins/utensils/etc – but we can’t promise to have enough for everyone – so think “finger food”
4. Ice is a bulky/not-easy-to-carry thing so don’t feel obliged…the best thing to do is chill your stuff in the fridge overnight and the put it in something insulated for the park.
1. A blanket or something to spread out on the ground
2. An outdoorsy game (Frisbee/etc) that you’d like to share
3. Snacks/Drinks for yourself (and/or to share)
4. Something to put your trash in
5. Water/soda and “discreet” drinks
Do NOT Bring:
1. Anything in a glass container
2. Foods that spoil quickly
3. Beer in cans or bottles
4. Wine in glass bottles
5. In fact try to avoid any kind of alcohol in its original container.
Probably the best place for us to congregate will be nearest to the 19th Street and 22nd Road intersection near the park border. We'll gather there at 1pm and find a spot nearby in the north field.