All spaces have now been sold. Please see the comments section at the end of this page for details of anyone selling their space on this trip (need to be of the same gender). The FAQ section below provides more details on this process of buying a space from someone:
Treat yourself to a fabulous weekend on a truly stunning, diverse and surprisingly unspoilt section of the South Coast. We're heading down to Dorset to visit the Jurassic Coast UNESCO World Heritage site where we'll spend a day hiking and another day sightseeing with a shorter hike. We'll be staying very close to the rare and beautiful natural harbour of Lulworth Cove in the heart of the Jurassic Coast. An area I adore and with good reason - this will be my seventh visit to Lulworth and Tyneham in the last 15 years.
To see reviews and photos from our last trip, please click below:
This is the perfect location for an action packed weekend. These are the highlights:
- Exploring the "ghost village" of Tyneham - a remote village in a small coastal valley that dates back over 1000 years and was abandoned by its inhabitants during World War 2. It’s now an enchanting ruin with the school, church and several houses still standing in various states of decay.
- Hiking along the coast where we'll walk the stunning chalk faced cliffs passing Worbarrow Bay, Lulworth Cove and the amazing limestone arch of Durdle Door.
- Riding on a steam train to the coast.
- Visiting the seaside resort town of Swanage.
- A gentler walk on the Sunday to see the famous chalk formations of Harry's Rocks
We've secured the exclusive use of the Lulworth Cove hostel. The hostel is a purpose built timber building located in the village of West Lulworth, just off the coastal path and under a mile from Lulworth Cove and the coast.
Friday 1st March
Head over to the hostel. We'll also be stopping for a brief snack at the motorway services en route.
Saturday 2nd March
Saturday's hike: Tyneham to Durdle Door
Distance: 8.5 miles (14 km)
Rating: Tough, 3 demanding hills, a good level of fitness required
This is the main hiking day. We'll drive to the abandoned village of Tyneham where we'll start a diverse and stunning hike.
After exploring the remains of the “ghost town”, we’ll hike along the coast following a very hilly route. It'll be challenging and but we'll be richly rewarded with some great views culminating in the two highlights of Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door. After the hike we'll then head onto a local pub for some food and drinks.
Sunday 3rd March
This is a day for a gentler hike and doing some sightseeing. In the morning we’ll drive to Corfe village, set nestling below Corfe Castle and take the steam train to Swanage where we’ll wander around the sea front with its beach and quaint shops. We’ll then head onto Harrys Rocks for a short 5 mile hike to see Harry's Rocks and the magnificent chalk cliffs giving great views along the coast
Cost and Payment
The cost of this trip is £89. To RSVP you'll need to pay a £20 deposit by Paypal with the remainder due by bank transfer before 6th January 2013. All payments are non-refundable unless the trip is cancelled or rescheduled. Once full payment has been received you may sell your space to a member of the same sex, however if you miss the final payment deadline or pull out of the trip before final payment is made your space will be lost and your deposit will not be refunded.
For details on making your final payment please see below:
Breakfast and packed lunches will be provided for Saturday, Sunday and Monday.
We have Serena from Hands on Health coming to offer massage as an optional extra. For more information and how to book a massage with Serena please see:
To offer/request lift shares, please see the discussion board below:
The price includes:
• 2 nights in single sex dormitory accommodation (4, 5 and 6 bed rooms)
• Continental breakfast on Saturday and Sunday
• Packed lunches on Saturday and Sunday
• Two hikes by a trained guide (Walk Group Leader (MTE), Mountain Leader (MTE) and a qualified First Aider.
• Compliance with the 1992 Package Travel Regulations including Financial protection.
The price doesn’t include:
• Transport to the Jurassic coast and during the trip
• Evening meals, drinks and personal expenses
Your safety is very important to us and these walks are led by a very experienced and also trained hike guide - both Walk Group Leader(MTE), Mountain Leader (MTE) and qualified Outdoor Activity First Aider. We detail our hikes so you can see what you're signing up for, but in the rare cases where extreme weather dictates we may need to offer an alternative hike/activity for safety. Outdoor activities involve a risk of personal injury and you need to come equipped for the activity you've chosen to participate in.
Terms and Conditions
By signing up to this event you agree to the Terms and Conditions below: