Over 40 and Kicking It Up Adventure and Social Club Message Board › Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

A former member
Post #: 98
We can stay at the lakeside cabins or villas and take out power boats or a pontoon:

http://www.deepcreekh...­

So, please share your ideas and opinions. Those who have stayed here recently, they can tell us their experience so that we can benefit from it.
A former member
Post #: 7
Hi Bob,
My family and I used to go up every summer but it's been awhile. When do you plan on going? If you want any ideas of what it's like at different parts of the lake I'll be happy to let you know. Keep me posted, sounds like fun.
Pam
A former member
Post #: 99
When a group of us last went up, we rented a big cabin on the lake, at night we played volleyball with a glow-in-the-dark ball, and during the day we rented power boats. Right now, the date is completely negotiable. I am flexible with it.
A former member
Post #: 324
I see SALT is going to have to get involved to get some power boats available & cabins. A women's work is never done. Bob, now we know for next year about the boats, still a great idea.
A former member
Post #: 2
Bob - I am/was a part owner in a lake front home at Deep Creek Lake for almost twenty years in a previous life. We will close on this house at the end of September. I would suggest renting a large house as opposed to staying in hotels. The hotels tend to be small. I believe splitting the cost of a rental would be less expensive. There are some good restaurants up there (a friend recently introduced me to a new great pizza/micro brewery place. Bill's Marina rents all kinds of water vehicles. Temperatures are usually ten degrees lower than our area; evenings are cool but great sleeping weather. Absolutely no alcohol is strictly enforced on the lake at all times (a good thing!). The fabulous Creamery closes after Labor Day - the best ice cream anywhere! Hate to give this information but ladies there is a great shop up there for beautiful silver jewelry and home accessories, gourmet foods, etc. I like visiting; the owner is a nice guy (only to be visited after water activities!). I would be happy to help plan what sounds like a fun weekend if you'd like the help. Rocky

A former member
Post #: 100
First, thanks for reading this and sharing your comments. That's the best way to learn, by getting cogent ideas from the mental efforts of others.

Second, the plan is for next year (i.e., 2012, so there is plenty of time to properly plan. Yes, it is a long way off, but the out-of-area trips tend to be like that, due to the planning involved (i.e., look at our weekends in WV or the NYC trip or the USNS Comfort tour). My coworkers just came back from Deep Creek Lake and had a blast. When I went there, I rented a house on the lake.

Third, not all vessels get pulled off of the water in the fall, but that is a moot point for this group, since almost all people in this Meetup are not in the off-season boating category. We would not go there when the water is cold, or definitely not do anything with any First Responders. There is only a handful of individuals in this group capable of doing that. The plan for us, is during the summer of 2012.

And, fourth, I am going to keep Georgette in mind and as part of this concept since she has property and direct knowledge therein, so she has been deputized as a lake marshal. All lakes in Maryland are man-made, incidentally, including the huge Deep Creek Lake, which strangers always find amazing.

Fifth, The last time I went there, as noted, we rented a house rather than stayed in a hotel, and it was great. Too, I ate at that pizza shop that Georgette mentions, and it is fantastic. So, Rocky, I am going to be chatting with you.
A former member
Post #: 325
I think this is an excellent idea. I will definitely be up for it next year. I could be co-captain for awhile but would like to graduate to Captain. There is nothing better to me than being in a boat on the water.
How is this? Captain SALT, ha.
A former member
Post #: 17
Will research... if I can bring my mini-RV and 'attach' to everyone I am 'in'. Would be great in the Fall with the leaves. Always the great ideas Bob!.. Thanx... alex
A former member
Post #: 4
This would be fun. I'm an experienced Boat Skipper. I Have a 24 footer.
Mine is already put away for the season.

Captain Skip (Skipper)
A former member
Post #: 101
The good thing is that we have plenty of time to do this properly. I will be up in that area between now and then and I can check it out. The Internet is good, but being there is better to talk with the people and try to get a good deal...... And having Rocky in our corner is an asset, so we will see. Godspeed to all.