Halfmoon Mountain Hike, only 1.5 hours from Centreville, is a hidden gem of a hike, with beautiful views, pretty rock formations and creeks. Brian has agreed to lead us and says it is one of his favorite hikes. (BEWARE when he says: "It's just another 1/4 of a mile!" We started calling him QM for "quarter-mile" on Signal Knob a couple weeks ago.)
We will hike a total of 9.5 miles, which should take us 5 hours, plus time for lunch. It is rated a difficulty of 3 out of 5 on Hiking Upward, with a 2,120 foot elevation gain. The hiking time is approximately 5 hours, plus time to stop for lunch.
We will meet at the Centerville Park and Ride to form carpools and DEPART at 7:30AM. It is 81 miles (1.5 hours) from the park and ride to the trail head. If you want to meet at the trailhead, we will depart from there at 9:15AM.
We will stop off at the Apple House on the way home (Linden, just off 66). 4675 John Marshall Hwy, Linden. It is a wonderful family-run restaurant with amazing barbecue and home-made breads and other items. We will return to the park and ride by 6:00pm.
This event is weather-dependent, and if we are going to cancel the hike, we will send out a note Friday evening.
- WATER: 40 OZ (5 - 8 oz bottles)
- Good hiking boots with tread - no tennis shoes
- Wicking layered clothing - please do not wear cotton next to your body - when you begin to sweat, you will be very cold. Thus the saying: COTTON KILLS.
- Hat, gloves, waterproof jacket, hiking sticks (especially helpful if we encounter ice)
- Backpack - as we go up, we begin to remove layers, and need easy way to carry them.
- Camera, whistle, bandaids, flashlight
- Hand sanitizer
- Ladies: baggies and tissue
- Print and bring this map: http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/HalfmoonMountain/images/Map.pdf
Friday night I will email my cell phone to everyone and touch base about the weather.
Please e-mail me with any questions: [masked]
See you on the trail!
A 3-D VIEW OF THE HIKE: