Oxford On Board Message Board › Venue for Oxford on Board

Venue for Oxford on Board

David O.
user 27397342
Oxford, GB
Post #: 1
I was a bit dissapointed with the Mitre. Our original tables were booked without us being told, though i thought the round table would've been unsuitable for games, plus that area was no bigger than the Kings Arms area. The tables we used were better, however, on our table especially, the lighting was very poor. We should consider staying at these tables next week I think.

It was a low turnout and I wondered whether that was because of the location change or bad luck. Very few of our new members turned up so maybe it was a communication problem or the fact that they were put off by the movement.

I felt that the Mitre was less welcoming than the Kings Arms, plus I felt weird playing in a restaurant as oppose to a pub.

I think that we do need a change from the Kings Arms, regrettably, but I don't think that the Mitre is the answer.

Maybe we could ask to reserve the two small tables next to the long tables at the Kings Arms as well. Even though it won't solve the eventual problem, it may relax it for a while.
michael m.
user 10806425
Didcot, GB
I would be reluctent to rule any venu out after only one event unless there was a very defently bad thing I would prefure to have a week or 2 more at the mitre just to see yes what the otehr spaces are like and what the pub feels like more regularley
Sonia
user 9378740
Oxford, GB
Post #: 60
Anyone tired Freud's? A bit further away but it's got plenty of space? Copa has an upstairs seating area? Royal Oak? Again a bit further, but has lots of "areas" . Upstairs at the Cape of Good Hope?
Terry O.
user 12113117
Oxford, GB
Post #: 27
I think Jack investigated the Royal Oak but I'm not sure. Those sound like good suggestions Sonia, we should check it out - would they welcome a boardgaming club?

I too feel the Mitre was a mixed success. It's not as appealing a place as the King's Arms. It's a bit odd playing in a restaurant. Actually, I would prefer playing in a more functional room, I don't really care about ambience. I really loved the quieter atmosphere of the Mitre - The King's Arms can be really rowdy. The space felt a lot more comfortable. It was too dark though. I agree with Mark that there did not appear to be a great deal more space than at the King's Arms! All in all, I don't think it is the solution.

In my humble opinion, we should look for a funtional room that we hire but then save money that we would otherwise spend at the bar. Pubs are for playing cards - when you break out a board game it's uncomfortable - contravercial provocational statement.
Mark T.
user 13068979
Oxford, GB
Post #: 11
I'd also be in favour of a function room. It seems the most reliable way to be sure of securing a space suitable for our needs (and not feeling obliged to get drinks would be a bonus).
Antti K.
user 24948252
Turku, FI
I liked the Mitre as a venue in general. It was much more comfortable, much less noisy and you didn't have to be on the lookout for errant elbows whenever someone moved.

Though I think I played on the best lit table so can't really comment on the lighting in other tables. Space wise it wasn't that much bigger than King's Arms so it's probably not the option for growth. But it did pretty much everything better than King's Arms (in my book anyway). I don't come to the club for food or drinks, so those have a fairly low priority in my scale.

All in all, if we had to choose between King's Arms and the Mitre, I'd pick the Mitre, though that's not what were looking for. For growth neither is entirely suitable. I'd have to agree that a function room would be the best option. Though with that the cost might be an issue. One of the best parts of the club so far has been that no matter how tight a budget you're on 50p. is more than affordable.
michael m.
user 10806425
Didcot, GB
Post #: 2
the second time at the miter was much better. the space was nice and privite and if we manage to get both the space at the frount and the space in the room behind there was a lot of room admitidley there where only 2 big tables but we managed to play 4 on a small table ok. the only real issue is the imability to be sure we get that space. I think I must agree maby a function room would be best but it would be expencive and I am not sure we want the expence or to realybe that closed off
David O.
user 27397342
Oxford, GB
I agree with Michael. My second time at the Mitre was much better. The lighting was much better, the tables were nicer: I played on the large round table and found it less difficult than I thought it would be. There was also a lot of room to expand and I don't think there'll be many issues with that. I suppose we were a bit put off when our first night was disrupted by a booking.

I was very happy to see 4 new people (or newish) last night and I counted 20 people in total. If this keeps happening it will become cost-effective to hire a function room, though I'm happy to stay at the Mitre at the moment as long as they're welcoming to us.
Chris
user 46223572
Oxford, GB
As one of the new people to the group my opinion is obviously less valid because i've only ever been to the one venue. For what it's worth: I thought the mitre was a great place. Monday was a bank holiday, yet it didn't get very crowded at all. It was only when people mentioned about the dim lighting that i really noticed it, and, speaking for myself, it didn't seem too bad and didn't seem to bother the group i was with. Me and Stuart are looking forward to becoming regular members, and would be willing to pay extra if the group feels we need a function room. We're just glad to meet new, nice people who share our love of board games.
Matthew B.
user 11883211
Oxford, GB
I like the Mitre. The lighting isn't brilliant and the bar service and choice is a bit lacklustre but there is loads of space, it's quiet and free. I've filled in the survey and would pay if that's the consensus but I don't reckon there is any need to change.