addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

PDX Sustainability Message Board › Shared Housing Idea

Shared Housing Idea

A former member
Post #: 31
If you are interested in this please let me know. Feel free to pass this on to others that may be interested. Thanks.

I posted this on craig's list, no real responses so far, just people trying to sell me houses I can't afford or tiny rooms I don't want.

Darcie

Sustainable Living-True shared housing (Milw/O.C./L.O./WL)

Need a place to LIVE? "Intentional community" - let's BUY a house! (O.C./Milw/L.O./WL)

Ok, here's the deal, I'm sick of all the stupid ads pretending to have a place for rent or wanting a "drama free" roommate.

Real people have drama! (Ok, not all the time, but its going to be there!)

This is what I propose:

I would like to find several people to get together and buy one of those huge houses that are on the market now.

I'm looking for people interested in living as sustainably as possible and learning to live lightly as possible, while still living. Hey, these big houses are already built! Let's take advantage.

THE HOUSE:

The home should be large enough to have at least two front rooms, maybe a basement we could turn into another "front room" and a garage for storage. (You know the kind, the ones that, from the outside, look like six families could live there and never see each other. .. ) A large kitchen and lots of bedrooms would be good. The idea is for everyone to be able to have their own "stuff" and have privacy as well. We don't want to be living on top of each other, but will, of necessity, be sharing laundry and kitchen. I'm hoping that we have room to plant fruit trees and have a garden (I'm not much of a gardener, so I hope you are!) to grow some things that we can freeze or can for food outside the growing season. I would like to recycle and use green cleaners and no chemicals in the yard. I am NOT looking to live out in the middle of nowhere and have a farm and a bunch of chickens. Lake Oswego/Milw/Oregon City/West Linn are my preferences. Ultimately, I would like to get close to or all of the way "off grid". Solar, geo-thermal, wind; water reclamation, rain barrels, some food production etc. Your ideas on this would be helpful as I don't know that much about off-grid . . . yet!

ME:

I can afford up to $800/mo for payments + my portion of the utilities (we can decide later if we "need" cable t.v., but I need internet). (which means the house payment if we all pay $800 could be about $3,000) I have "baggage" that I'm dealing with, but as things get better I will be back to my usual sunny self. I like to volunteer when I can, have a "real" job and am working on getting my own business up and running. I am not a neat nik, but like things clean. I like to read, watch movies, play board games, have friends over for movies or game nights and maybe a holiday party or two and love my Rock N' Roll and going dancing. I like to laugh and chat and get a little goofy sometimes! I don't do drugs, rarely drink, but enjoy an occasional libation or glass of wine, don't smoke and won't tolerate smokers or druggies anywhere near me. I spent 14 years caring for my grandmother. I am trying to eat better and am working on losing weight. But I DO love my snacks too! (Midnight ice cream sundae anyone?) I love anything with four legs and fur that is cute and fluffy (even though I'm allergic). I am NOT a vegan or vegetarian and do not intend to become one. I'm not "perfect", but I'm a good person and would like to be around other good people.

My preference in this venture is 3 other "mature" women. 40+ would probably be good. But I might consider guys too. If you are starting over, getting back on your feet or are just tired of looking for a decent place to live, are trying to live lighter, like the idea of owning a home, but can't afford a "whole" house, you may be what I'm looking for and vice versa. Send me an email so we can get acquainted.

Obviously, it will take a bit of coordinating to get several personalities to mesh!

YOU:

Respectful of others and their things. Not a heavy drinker, don't do drugs, not schizophrenic or bi-polar or any other major mental illness. NO smokers. You have a steady job or income, like to laugh, like to help others and are looking to live lighter on the planet.

No one is perfect! If you have "issues" to work through maybe we can help. We don't all need to be best friends, but you should be social and willing to commit to doing your share around the house/garden etc. You should like to have dinners together once in a while, share a movie or t.v. show, sit around and chat or maybe have a glass of whine, um, I mean wine. You need to be willing to make a long term commitment to this project.

What you should NOT be is a huge complainer when there is really nothing to complain about, a narcissist, a know-it-all (unless you actually do, then please share!), a grump or a religious nut. (I'm an atheist BTW)

OTHER:

We can discuss pets later, but I would be happy with one cat and one dog (clean dog, as I'm actually allergic to both, but love them anyway). (A real dog, no little yappy things! Ok, shelties and corgies are adorable!) NO Children (the occasional visit from children and grandchildren is fine, but no live ins or long term stays).

Do not respond if you are not willing to make a commitment of at least five years. This is not a rental or the "usual" roommate situation, I want to buy a house. The legal details can be worked out later and my employer can draw up the docs. (I work for an attorney.) Of course, you should always have your own attorney look over this kind of thing.

If this crazy idea sounds like something you would be interested in please let me know. Email me with some info about you, your life, your preferences etc. Obviously, we will need to meet several times over the next few months/year and get to know each other and see if we can find several of us to mesh.

Thanks for reading this too long post!

A former member
Post #: 28
Did you find someone at all? Buy? Still looking? Dick and Andrea are looking: Figured I'd put it out there to see what had happened since your post
http://www.meetup.com...­
A former member
Post #: 34
Hi Zoe:

I've changed the post a little and keep posting. However, the corporate shills and haters of the environment (read: large corporations!) keep deleting my post. The bots don't actually read it they just search for certain words and auto flag them. sigh

So the answer is yes I'm still looking. At this point I'd be happy with renting a house with one other person! I'm in a bad situation and need to get out, but I can't afford to pay a lot of "move in fees" and deposits to just turn around and move again. If you know anyone send them my way. Would probably prefer not to live with a couple, but depending on the house set up . . .

Thanks!

Darcie