The Phoenix East Valley 4x4 Meetup Group Message Board › Sunflower Fire

Sunflower Fire

Will L.
user 8457592
Group Organizer
Fountain Hills, AZ
Post #: 101
The latest fire in the Tonto National Forest is near the Sunflower Mine Trail air down spot and the trail to the mine.

Link to Info on Sunflower Fire
Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 509
I looked yesterday to see if we had any trips up there. There is the possibility they might close that area for what they call regeneration.
Will L.
user 8457592
Group Organizer
Fountain Hills, AZ
Post #: 102
We went last weekend. We'll have to wait and see, but t may be a while before we get back there again. crying
Steve S
user 14600822
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 11
The news video of air tankers attacking the fire were impressive. The fire looked like it spread into several fires. Hopefully they will get it under control.
Daniel S.
user 33392402
Scottsdale, AZ
Post #: 6
Crown King is also burning right now also!!
Kim M.
user 31347622
Fountain Hills, AZ
Post #: 5
just read the following;

home : latest news : latest news
May 13, 2012

5/13/2012 2:28:00 PM
Breaking news: Crown King fire spreads to 40 acres

A wildfire ignited about four miles north of Crown King around 1 p.m. today on private land surrounded by the Prescott National Forest, and by 2 p.m. it had grown to more than 40 acres.

Two structures were damaged in the blaze, State Land Department spokesperson Cliff Pearlberg said.

The blaze was burning in steep, rugged country dominated by pinon and juniper forest. It's dubbed the Gladiator fire because it's near the historic Gladiator gold mine.

The State Land Department is in charge of the firefighting effort because the fire ignited on private property. Incident Commander Russ Shumate ordered two Type I Hotshot crews and four Type II crews to fight the fire, as well as two heavy air tankers and a helicopter.

Check back with dcourier.com for updates.
Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 510
I heard form one of our members on the 4x4 ham net last night that Sunflower mine processing plant and the trail has been destroyed in the fire. We can expect as with past wildfires that this area will be closed for many years for re-generation. There are the obvious safety concerns with falling trees and flash floods. We were discussing the Cave Creek-Complex fire back in 2005. This fire shut down a very popular trail by Bartlett Lake called FR42. This area is still closed. It will be weeks before we know anything about Crown King.

This is very sad news to the 4x4 community and all the people that use these areas for recreation.
Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 511
Will and I had a meeting today and we clearly found Sunflower mine inside the fire boundary map. The link below has the map. There is an orange flame in the center of the map. In the hybrid view zoom in on the small open area is just below and left of that flame. This is the parking area at the top looking down on the processing plant.

http://www.inciweb.or...­
Will L.
user 8457592
Group Organizer
Fountain Hills, AZ
Post #: 105
The forest closure area associated with the Sunflower Fire eliminates going to Log Corral, Bartlett Lake, Rose Quartz Mine, and I'm sure other trails I'm not even aware of in that area.

Forest Closure Area