The Phoenix East Valley 4x4 Meetup Group Message Board › **WILDCAT PRE-RUN** BACKWAY TO COKE OVENS ACROSS GILA RIVER

**WILDCAT PRE-RUN** BACKWAY TO COKE OVENS ACROSS GILA RIVER

Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 514
September 29th.
McDonald's in Florence
701 AZ79
9:30AM
My Cell: 602.469.0796
Bring your garden loppers just in case the tunnel needs a trimmed

I have been on this trail a couple of times but I was with Tom who knows it well. Tom is not able to make our November trip there. I have it in my GPS but would like to pre-run to see how deep the river is and check to see what kind of shape the tunnel is in. There is a website for river flow but I would like to have a sense of where it is now so I can compare the numbers in November.

THIS IS A PRE-RUN. WRONG TURNS ARE AN OPTION! biggrin

Happy Trails,
Steve
Frank S.
user 61913812
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 1
I will be willing to go with ya
rob b.
user 3856384
Mesa, AZ
Post #: 39
see you on the 29th

rob & sharon
Steve S
user 14600822
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 18
See you at McD.
Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 515

This is before it was trimmed last year

So everyone knows. This is not a difficult trail. Nothing like the trip in from the north. This is why Tom and I wanted to exit this way to cut about 2 hours off of the round trip. To start with we travel 15+ miles of graded dirt road to get to the turnoff. We cross over the railroad tracks, directly over the tracks. No bridge, concrete or any type of crossing. Then we cross the river if it is not to deep or swift. Then through the mesquite tunnel that is a from memory about 200 yards long. After the mesquite tunnel the ovens are less than a mile away on an easy trail.

Last year on my pre-run with Tom the river was about a foot deep. On our group trip out last year the river was dry. On our pre-run the tunnel was pretty overgrown but neither Tom or I were worried about scratches so we blazed on through. On our group trip we were told by a gentleman on a quad that someone had gone in and cut back the big scratching branches. In the past scratches were not an issue but now I have new Wrangler. I am not opposed to scratching it but I would prefer not to do it all in one day. A year later I would not think it would have major overgrowth but I am also concerned about soft tops getting ripped. That's why I mentioned bringing garden loppers.

Bente, Olive should be fine. The Liberty hit the frame pretty hard going over the tracks but other than that had no issues getting over. Bring your visitors so they can see some Arizona history.

See everyone at McDonald's
Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 516
I will be willing to go with ya

Just be at McDonalds at 9:30. Looking forward to meeting you
Tom S.
user 5053255
Gilbert, AZ
Post #: 81
Steve,

Is the plan to only run backway to the ovens and then exit the same way? We may also cut down some overgrown branches too?
Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 517
Steve,

Is the plan to only run backway to the ovens and then exit the same way? We may also cut down some overgrown branches too?

Backway only Tom. Bring your loppers.
Tom S.
user 5053255
Gilbert, AZ
Post #: 82
I'll be there too!
Steve
Deuce
Queen Creek, AZ
Post #: 519
Not wanting to worry about another sidewall blowout I opted to replace the tires and not do the lift for now. Bought BFG all Trerain T/A's. 33". This has always been my tire of choice for as long as I have owned a 4x4 vehicle. I have never had an on the trail issue in well over 25 years.
There is a very slight chance of rain on Saturday (10%). We are still a go even if it is raining in the morning. See everyone Saturday