PHP as a Social Activity Message Board Recruitment Center › PHP Developers Needed for Tampa Bay Startup

PHP Developers Needed for Tampa Bay Startup

Closed to new replies

A former member
Post #: 2
Are you a PHP Developer looking to build next generation applications for the Social Web? Have you found current Social Web offerings to be lacking in their capabilities and yearn for the chance to make a difference? Are you looking for that once in a lifetime opportunity to contribute your talents to a well-funded startup that is currently building the social platform of the future? If so, then Continuum Labs has the opportunity you have been looking for.

Continuum Labs is actively seeking PHP developers with experience developing applications utilizing Web 2.0 technologies for the Social Web. You will be part of an agile, fast-paced, high-energy team that prides itself on innovative problem solving and a commitment to teamwork.

WHAT YOU NEED FOR THIS POSITION:

• BS in Computer Science or equivalent
  • 2-6 years software development experience
  • phpStorm or similar IDE environment
  • Experience working in a LAMP stack
  • Experience with front-end scripting including: HTML, JavaScript, CSS, AJAX
  • Passion for software development and OO design
  • Agile development processes
  • Excellent teamwork skills, flexibility, and ability to handle multiple tasks
  • Strong communication and collaboration skills
  • Positive attitude, professionalism and a great sense of humor

DESIRED SKILLS:

• Familiarity with the Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and Twitter APIs
  • Experience with Symfony2 and Doctrine2
  • Experience with OAuth 1.0a and above
  • Hands on experience with Web application architecture and relational database design
  • Knowledge of the Jenkins Continuous Integration server
  • Experience with version control systems (such as Subversion)

Continuum Labs is a work hard, play hard type of company built upon a family atmosphere. If you feel that you have the skills to fill this position and are looking to join our family, then please send your resume to bill.nelson@continuumlabs.com.
Sam L.
samuelelliot
Group Organizer
Saint Petersburg, FL
Post #: 32
Bill,

Thank you for providing this opportunity to our community. I have some general questions that I hope will help find the right people for the position. Please describe what you are referring to when you mention "next generation applications for the Social Web" and "the social platform of the future"? How is what Continuum Labs is building different than "Facebook, LinkedIn, Google+ and Twitter"? What other projects has the Continuum Labs family built?

Thank you,

Sam
A former member
Post #: 3
Fair enough question, Sam. Let me attempt to address your question first by providing the "party line" corporate verbiage and then by my own personal thoughts.

Continuum Labs is the chief development arm for an up and coming privacy-based social platform. The platform is called Lifedash and it combines a unique mix of data ownership and selective sharing among trusted entities. Lifedash combines familiar social web features with trusted data therefore providing new opportunities for sharing data between users. Identity validation helps establish a platform of trust therefore providing a firm foundation for the Identity Ecosystem. Utilizing the science of positive psychology, we have engineered the platform for user engagement which will subsequently drive daily interaction. Constant use of the site coupled with the desire to memorialize and validate user experiences will provide the fuel which will contemporaneously feed the Identity Ecosystem.

Now my thoughts...

I believe we are at a unique time where privacy and social networking are essentially at odds with each other. We want to be social, but we also want to be private. These desires are diametrically opposed to each other and when they conflict, the results can be disastrous (just ask Congressman Weiner). Other social networks have been found wanting in areas of privacy and while they are continuing to address those areas, it comes down to core beliefs and business models. Other social networking sites make their money off of your data. Lifedash believes that a person's data (identity, healthcare, status feeds, etc.) belongs to that person - not to anyone else. The owner should be able to selectively share that data with whomever they please, but at all times that data is in the hands of the owner. We are looking for developers who share those beliefs and are wanting to help us develop the Lifedash platform.

We employ an agile development process with iterations every 3 to 4 weeks. We are planning on entering what we call the "Friends and Family" phase in the April/May timeframe and then expect to start limited (invitation only) beta around the July/August timeframe. We already employ a team of product managers, project managers, designers, and developers. This is not a two-man shop. We are simply looking for people who share our vision and have the experience detailed in the original job posting to help us reach it.

Hopefully this answers your question.

bill

Steeve C.
steevecannon
Clearwater, FL
Post #: 1
Bill;

This is off topic. I saw the thread and I just wanted to give you some food for thought. Delete it if you want because it is off topic.

Tell your CTO to look at Node.js if he hasn't already.

PHP might work good now and may continue to work good on the back end in the future in combination with real-time technologies, but if you want to be able to embrace HTML5, web sockets, web workers and the real future of the web then you are going to need to look at something like server side javascript. It avoids the XHR long polling and all those work arounds.

To give you an idea of the power, you can already communicate real-time asynch bi-directionally between browser and server and even share data models via leveraging things like backbone and if you roll in jq or jq mobile (or zeptos for smaller load) and combine in phonegap you can actually have a smaller, faster more integrated code base for multi-device delivery alongside the real-time aspects.

I program in PHP regularly ( and every other language I can get my hands on ) and personally I would not consider using PHP for a social media platform right now. Not with the big boys all backing or acquiring companies that are using Node.js

Thanks
S

A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for the recommendation, Stephen. The Lifedash framework will be using various technologies to achieve its goals.

I have not personally coded with Node.js, but it reminds me of Netscape's LiveWire (server side javascript) implementation which was really the predecessor to Java in many ways. Man, that brings back some memories - not altogether pleasant ones, mind you. ;-)