Phoenix Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board Socrates Cafe Philosophy Discussion in Tempe Discussion Forum › Is the Individual or the Group more important? discussion in Tempe!

Is the Individual or the Group more important? discussion in Tempe!

Jonathan
user 8869511
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 337
Is the Individual or the Group more important? discussion in Tempe!
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks Johnathan for initiating the discussion. I like to say that I agree with Maribel that individualism is the doctrine that believes in the moral worth of each individual. I happen to also believe in this doctrine. It is always refreshing to be associated with individuals with like-minded beliefs.

The point I am raising is that: What really follows from this? This is the task of philosophy. People interpret this doctrine in many ways. 1- Selfishness is good 2- Rugged individualism is good (Steve and Humphrey Bogart)) 3- Government paternalism is always bad (republicans) 4- Altruism is bad (Ayn Rand) 5- Greed is good (wall street) 6- We should not pay taxes (libertarians) 7- Each individual should fulfill his/her potential (J. S. Mill, the American dream)...etc ad infinitum.

Of course all those positions need to be critically discussed openly and need to be defended. That is how I see the role of philosophy. That is what meant to live in a liberal democracy. I see this open discussion is relevant now given the economic fiasco we are in.

This is a very difficult issue and requires sustained involvement. So I propose weekly or biweekly meetings (I am offering my home) to go through the cacophony of voices we are hearing in a systematic and critical way. we all should be prepared to defend any interpretation we believe in. That is the only way we can all arrive at a rational solution.

In summary to say that what follows from this doctrine is that the individual is more important than the community will not do. Whoever believe that needs to support his/her position
Michael
user 10211443
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 10
I agree, and I will attend said meetups if I'm around. I don't think that many people would disavow the moral worth of each individual, but simply because each individual is not afforded complete freedom in every respect does not mean that he has any less moral worth.

It is only through the perspective of social engineering that an individual's worth seems lost--but anything that requires the planning of a large system will do so. It is my hunch that the United States is too large and too unwieldy now for individuals to feel as if they matter to the whole--and that is important.