Phoenix Philosophy Meetup Group Message Board Socrates Cafe Philosophy Discussion in Tempe Discussion Forum › Socratic Interview Technique - “You get the f*ck out of here, or I will thro

Socratic Interview Technique - “You get the f*ck out of here, or I will throw you out the window.”

Jonathan
user 8869511
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 38
Jan interviews political figures using the Socratic Interview Technique to challenge their basic premise. The responses are fascinating.

Some individuals are unwilling to reason and go into evasion.

San Francisco area Congressmen Pete Stark discusses the national debt, “You get the fuck out of here, or I will throw you out the window.”

Senator Harry Reid about redistributive taxes. Reid claims income tax is "a voluntary system."

Senator Harry Reid about redistributive taxes. Reid admits "Welfare is a failure."

Can you properly delegate a right you do not have? Bill Richardson first says "yes" and then says "no".

More from Jan Helfeld here.

Note: the interview style in some clips may look like ambush journalism, when it is not. These are short segments that illustrate the dramatic responses that were the reactions to polite questions.

A former member
Post #: 2
Wow. The fact that Stark is allowed to hold a position of power and authority - with that attitude - is downright scary. Unfortunately, his mindset is also often seen within corporate America; and they call them leaders? F**K no. What to do?
Jonathan
user 8869511
Chandler, AZ
Post #: 43
I grew up in San Francisco and was selected by my school Principal to be a student representative to the State Board of Education. I even had voting rights on policy, I thought I was doing a good job.

I went to the bathroom during a break. A member of the SF city council followed me into the bathroom and said, "Hey kid, everyone in that room is f*cking lying to you. You have no idea what you are voting for."

My first introduction to the inner workings of politics.