***NOTE: THIS MEETUP GROUP WILL BE DISCONTINUED AS WE ARE MOVING TO USING OUR OWN SITE FOR COMMUNICATIONS. PLEASE JOIN THE MAILING LIST AT WWW.LEFFERTSFOODCOOP.ORG***
This group was started to by residents of Prospect Lefferts Gardens and surrounding neighborhoods (Crown Heights, Flatbush, etc.) to start a food cooperative grocery store in our area. This group will work toward planning, assessment and implementation of a food buyers or store coop with a mission of offering healthy, sustainable and affordable foods to the community. ANYONE is welcome to join, even if you can't (or don't want to) be directly involved in the planning process as important updates to our progress will be posted here!
The mission of the Lefferts Community Food Cooperative is to sell affordable, sustainable, and nutritious food, to encourage healthy food practices and to foster environmentally responsible activities through democratic cooperation. TheLefferts Farm Food Cooperative focuses on serving residents of Prospect Lefferts Gardens, Crown Heights, East Flatbush, as well as to the larger New York City metropolitan area. The Lefferts Farm Food Cooperative adheres to the principals outlined by the International Cooperative Alliance. Our objectives are to:
1. Sell affordable, sustainable, and culturally-relevant food and products that are easily accessible to the communities we serve at the lowest price possible;
2. Address issues and provide solutions relating to the nutrition disparity experienced by our residents;
3. Educate members and residents of our community about the benefits of healthy eating and living;
4. Foster sustainable partnerships with local farmers, CSA's, Farmer's Markets, cooperatives, community, health and education institutions;
5. Engage local businesses in promoting access to healthy food; and
6. Become a role model for the community in demonstrating the benefits of cooperative association.
The Lefferts Farm Food Cooperative finds strength in the diversity of the community around us and commits to a selection of healthy foods and promotion of healthy eating that respects this. We oppose discrimination in any form. We happily welcome all who agree with our objectives, believe in the values of cooperative work, honesty, openness, and social responsibility, and who are willing to participate in the enrichment of the community around them.