PUFMM - Fort Myers Message Board › Thoughts

Thoughts

A former member
Post #: 1
By no means do I consider myself to be the most educated person in the world or for that matter in my own household, but anyone with the capability to read and process information has to see that there are worse legal medications prescribed to patients in Florida and throughout the United States for pain management, depression and anxiety then cannabis products. In 2007 a study conducted by the Florida Medical Examiners researched 168,900 autopsies, of that number the rate of deaths related to prescription drugs was three times the rate of so called “street drugs” including; cocaine, heroin and all other methamphetamines. Oxycontin alone contributed to 2,328 deaths, up 36% from the prior year. Marijuana related deaths came in at a stunning round number. ZERO.

The state of Florida, has one of the strictest penalties for marijuana related offenses, but seems to be content with their lackadaisical prescription drug policy. Why is this when the numbers clearly show that the real “War on Drugs” should be shifted to another front? Politics? According to an article written in June of 2009 by Alex Leary of the St. Pete Times, Florida Lawmakers received over $700,000 in campaign contributions from Pharmaceutical and Insurance companies in the first half of 2009. Not too bad. Those opposed to medical marijuana use will tell you that the inflation in contributions can be linked to Healthcare reform, but ask yourself this, who stands to lose if medical marijuana is offered as an alternative for pain, depression, or anxiety issues? The majority of legal marijuana dispensaries receive their product from local growers and as of now there are no insurance companies who cover medical marijuana. I know, sounds like a conspiracy theory from an Oliver Stone movie. But if Pharmaceutical companies were granted rights to produce and distribute marijuana to dispensaries and Insurance companies could charge deductibles how might that affect the opinion of Florida politicians?

The benefits of legalizing medical marijuana in Florida certainly aren’t limited to just the medical purpose. Tax money collected could help a state in dire need of economical assistance. In 2009 Florida was in the top percentile in property foreclosures (516,711), unemployment (11.8%), not to mention a failing public school system that ranks among the lowest in the nation. John Dyer of MSN money interviewed an owner of a California dispensary who claims his business brings in over $1 million in annual revenue, and pays $80,000 in state sales tax. Is marijuana the safer option to prescription pills and economical answer or the evil gateway drug to a life of addiction and crime? Guess that all depends on how you process the information.
Steve J.
user 9738998
Hialeah, FL
Post #: 32
Matt, this post is awesome!!! I'm busy with getting things moving over here on the east side of FL and most certainly learned more specific facts from your posting. It's a very well structured, pragmatic, and without a bit of ranting/preaching statement. The statistics and quotes are well thought out as profound.

PUFMM Fort Myers is holding a Signature Drive for the Susan G Komen 5K Run/Walk on Saturday 13 March in Estero at 8:00 AM. It's early, I know, but PUFMM SoFLA attended the one in West Palm Beach and received a great response from the people there. The only way this is going to get done is by the "everyone" attending these SigDrives to raise awareness about the benefits of Medical Marijuana. I have plans to attend this event as well..

Please check the calendar to RSVP.