Let's get together to celebrate the summer solstice!
Since it's been quite awhile since we've had an event, and we have a lot of new members since our last gathering, we'll begin with an informal meet-and-greet so we can talk and get to know each other, and follow it up with a simple solstice ritual for the kids.
Kenneth Hahn Park in Culver City, near the Japanese Gardens
We'll gather at 1:00, allow a couple of hours to hang out and socialize, and plan to do the ritual around 3:00.
It costs $6 per vehicle to park in the parking lot. Carpooling is great! I have room for 3 more in my vehicle if anyone wants to carpool from my place in Westchester (5 min. from LAX). Just e-mail me through the meetup or post on my profile if you're interested. You can also post on the meetup page for this meetup to see if there's anyone in your area that you can carpool with.
$5 suggested donation per family to contribute to the Meetup costs - but no one turned away for lack of funds.
For your comfort & enjoyment:
• A picnic blanket and/or camp chairs if you want them
• Snacks and/or beverages to share with the group
• Sunscreen/sunhat if you need it
• Water for yourself & your family
• Any summer soltice-related stories, songs or performance pieces that you or your child(ren) would like to share with the group!
For the ritual:
We will be making time capsules to honor the ways in which we've grown over the past year, which can be opened at next year's Summer Solstice. We will also share the bounty of the season in the form of items that we've outgrown and would like to pass on to someone else to enjoy.
Each child (and adults too if you want!) bring
• A few of their favorite drawings/art pieces and/or writings that they've done from this past year - it should be something that can fit into a 9"x12" manila envelope (folded is fine if you're ok with folding your work).
• An item or items to give away. These can be anything from clothing to toys to knick-knacks - anything that has been much loved and served some special or even mundane purpose but whose usefulness or meaning has been outgrown, that might be useful or meaningful to someone else.
I will have some basic art supplies and writing materials so that the kids can make something specifically for their time capsule if they wish, and write down the special things they've accomplished in the past year.
Please RSVP for this event with the number of guests you will be bringing and the ages of all the children in your party. This is important as it helps us with preparations for the event. There isn't a way to specify the guests' ages in the RSVP function, so please post a comment with that info after you RSVP.
Feel free to e-mail or call me if you have any questions or suggestions, or if you have any trouble finding us day-of.
You're also welcome to bring extra guests even if they aren't members of the meetup!
This will be a delightfully fun day and I hope to see you all there!