Page Turners - Tampa Women's Book Club Message Board › October Book Suggestion

October Book Suggestion

Darlene M.
user 87236972
Clearwater, FL
Post #: 1
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

When a white servant girl violates the order of plantation society, she unleashes a tragedy that exposes the worst and best in the people she has come to call her family. Orphaned while onboard ship from Ireland, seven-year-old Lavinia arrives on the steps of a tobacco plantation where she is to live and work with the slaves of the kitchen house. Under the care of Belle, the master's illegitimate daughter, Lavinia becomes deeply bonded to her adopted family, though she is set apart from them by her white skin.

Eventually, Lavinia is accepted into the world of the big house, where the master is absent and the mistress battles opium addiction. Lavinia finds herself perilously straddling two very different worlds. When she is forced to make a choice, loyalties are brought into question, dangerous truths are laid bare, and lives are put at risk
A former member
Post #: 20
I've had this on my tbr pile for sometime.
Tampa, FL
Post #: 58
That sounds interesting. I was going to suggest an older title, as I've never read it...

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Other editions

Enlarge cover

Want to Read

pick shelf

Rate this book

1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

by Milan Kundera, Michael Henry Heim (translator)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03 · rating details · 131,536 ratings · 5,551 reviews

A young woman is in love with a successful surgeon, a man torn between his love for her and his incorrigible womanizing. His mistress, a free-spirited artist, lives her life as a series of betrayals--while her other lover, earnest, faithful, and good, stands to lose everything because of his noble qualities. In a world where lives are shaped by irrevocable choices and fortuitous events, and everything occurs but once, existence seems to lose its substance, its weight. Hence we feel "the unbearable lightness of being."

A major achievement from one of the world's truly great writers, Milan Kundera's magnificent novel of passion and politics, infidelity and ideas, encompasses the extremes of comedy and tragedy, illuminating all aspects of human existence.(less)