Bay County Atheists Message Board › Cajun & Zydeco Dancing

Cajun & Zydeco Dancing

James T.
user 15483601
Panama City, FL
Post #: 7
I was wondering if anyone is interested in Cajun/Zydeco dancing. Are there any venues in the area where one might go to do this? Seems like there are occasional bands playing here and there, even if it's just at Mardi Gras time. I've also thought about doing some informal teaching if anyone wants it. I miss having a group to dance with.
Jessica
user 4017883
Lynn Haven, FL
Post #: 39
Is that like Swing dance?
James T.
user 15483601
Panama City, FL
Post #: 8
Objectively, I guess there are a lot of similarities, particularly with regard to Zydeco, but I don't think of them as being the same at all. Different music, different mood, feel and style, although you can do some of the same moves, of course.

Traditional Cajun is mostly moderate two-stepping and waltzes, something like Country/Western but livelier with more spice. You could say Zydeco is to Cajun what Lindy is to Swing: more syncopated & higher energy -- or you could call it Cajun Dirty Dancing. If I had a partner or a group, I'd be tempted to head over toward New Orleans sometime. I knew folks in Seattle who would travel down there or to Lafayette just to do Zydeco.

I've also been wishing I could do a little Ragime/Vintage dancing -- been watching Boardwalk Empire and hearing some great old 20's & 30's music.