Papers We Love Columbus Message Board › First Meeting

First Meeting

Craig S.
CraigStuntz
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 1
The organizers have been discussing a first meeting via email, but now that this meetup is live, I'd like to bring the discussion into public.

I've been thinking that for the first meeting we should expect to spend some time getting logistical kinks worked out, so rather than trying to recruit a legendary speaker to present a difficult paper, we make the topic/presentation pretty informal and just focus on getting a meeting together.

I reviewed the TechLife Columbus calendar, and the following dates in June appear to not conflict with anything there. Tuesday 17 June and Friday 20 June. Would one of those work?

We also need a topic. Someone can give a presentation on an "easier" paper, or we could meet for an informal "paper swap."

Please chime in with ideas for how to help get the group off the ground!

Thanks,

Craig

A former member
Let's take a look at what this group says its about. Under the list of organizers, this webpage says, "We're about: Software Developers, Programming Languages, Computer Science, Funtional Programming, and Mathematics."

That list about sums up my life, so if no one objects; I'd like to volunteer to give a presentation and host a Q&A for the first event.

Over the past four years, I have developed the cyBOSS (computer programming) language. I wrote more than 120,000 lines of C++ code to create a functional: compiler and runtime system. Then wrote more than 10,000 lines of cyBOSS code to create the IDE. To create the compiler, I had to study and master mathematics and parsing algos. I will also offer to provide a free copy of the software to everyone who attends the first meetup!
Mykola B.
user 11085024
Columbus, OH
I'm in favor of a low key 'paper swap' first meeting, just to get to know each other and discuss the trajectory of the group that people want to see.

I am fine with either of those days, too.
A former member
Post #: 2
Either Tuesday 17 June and Friday 20 June works for me. People need time to make plans and adjust schedules; therefore, would recommend that the details of the First Meeting be announced ASAP.
Craig S.
CraigStuntz
Group Organizer
Columbus, OH
Post #: 2
OK, let's do a "paper swap" on Tuesday the 17th. Both Mykola and I have access to space, we'll work it out.

I heard this weekend that OSU math department just hired someone for HoTT work. Interesting stuff happening in town!