North Charleston RPG's Message Board › Underdark Campaign Log

Underdark Campaign Log

Closed to new replies

Sam V.
user 11606300
Charleston, SC
Post #: 109
This is in Eboncross's point of view. Your characters aren't reading it. Please do not reply to this thread.

--- We all had our reasons for being there, but the result was the same. Darkness. Usually when the sun sets I am still able to view the world with clarity, but even I couldn’t see this coming.

The news of the celebration in Waterdeep was far reaching. The hostilities with the Minotaur city of Bankrinth had ceased and both parties had reached an agreement that would benefit the entire region. Waterdeep is famous for its frequent festivals, but people were excited as to how the reclusive minotaur would contribute. I heard first about the food they would provide, then about the wondrous items for sale, and then I heard about the “entertainment.” I have always known about, and been disgusted by, Waterdeep’s punishment system. Petty crime, do the time. Big offender, become a contender. The practice of pitting criminals against each other for sport is vile. Unfortunately the minotaur take senseless death to another level. Innocents are raised as slaves specifically to fight in the arena. Delight in death angers the Raven Queen.

I was born Marc Carbinson, a member of a noble family, and wanted for nothing. As a young spoiled human, I delved into magics I should not have, and was changed. I became a shade, and now I seek redemption in the eyes of the Raven Queen.
Sam V.
user 11606300
Charleston, SC
Post #: 110
Waterdeep is a unique place. Even a shade like me can blend in, but obviously someone noticed me because I received that anonymous invitation to attend the gruesome event. The rumor was that several citizens had received the same offer through a lottery. I never signed up for this lottery, and I didn’t plan to attend as a guest. I had the intention of confronting the host or hosts and at the very least protesting the monumental affront to the Raven Queen. I was suspicious, but I did not want to pass the chance to see who was sitting in a position of authority in the audience.

The pit, as it is known, is a rather large hole in the middle of the stadium of the same name. The pit leads to Dawnshadow, an open area that connects to the Shallows of the Underdark. The criminals who are cowardly or just those with a survival instinct are free to jump down, and should they survive the fall, they start a new life in what locals call “The first level of the Nine Hells.” A quick death is a wiser choice. The lack of security should have alerted me that something was off, but even I couldn’t look away from the spectacle. So many that seemed ready and willing to die, but unwilling to go without a fight. Champions that could enthrall an entire crowd only to die and be replaced by someone tougher and better. Then finally a supreme champion, the biggest and meanest looking minotaur I’d ever seen. With a hefty boast of superiority, he motioned for his opponents. Nine other minotaur warriors entered and surrounded him. As the tension reached its peak the nine turned and charged the stands. All nine crashed into the wall, in some places taking down entire sections of seating, and bringing terrified audience members tumbling down onto the arena floor right in front of the armed gladiators. I was one of the unlucky few, but I too was armed. Of the many viewers that fell, only a handful of us put up a fight. Two of them were minotaur themselves, which caused some confusion until they started healing people.
Sam V.
user 11606300
Charleston, SC
Post #: 111
The fight didn’t last long, and the former champion would have had his pride hurt if he hadn’t been killed. Only when the darkness spewed forth from the pit did I realize everything up to this point was an elaborate distraction. With quick, almost surgical precision, everything in the arena was shrouded in complete darkness, and I was knocked out by an unseen foe.

When I awoke I was chained in a cell without any of my equipment. When my head cleared enough to look around I saw that I was not alone. The two minotaur healers were there, as well as a dragonborn and a mul. They introduced themselves as Mull Ringwall the minotaur runepriest, Tahngarth the elven warpriest (the other minotaur apparently thinks he’s an elf), Marrok the mul mage, and Kaw the dragonborn battlemind. After the introductions we inspected the room as best as we could and discovered that our bonds were magical in nature. The guards posted outside spoke elven, and repeatedly mentioned we were to be sacrificed. A frantic search of the cell helped us find a small hole, which was a window to another room. Through it we viewed a very young purple dragon, still with shell fragments stuck to its head. It was frightened of us, but it would prove to be our salvation.