Northeast Peak Baggers Message Board White Mountain 4000 Footers Discussion Forum › My first NH Peak Bag Selections.

My first NH Peak Bag Selections.

Ian
user 14653005
Ballston Spa, NY
Post #: 3
Hi all! I have been researching where to start in the white mountains. I have decided to start with Franconia Ridge Lafayette, Lincoln, Liberty and flume. I am looking for a recommendation of some place close to camp or stay, I would Coming late Friday Aug 1st Hiking on the 2nd and returning home the 3rd. And also, is anyone interested in joining me?
Matt D.
user 49456822
Natick, MA
Post #: 5
Ian, there are a number of camping places in the area. The problem is they tend to be pretty full on summer weekends. The closest (as in right at the trailhead for the Old Bridle Path) is Lafayette Place. They have showers and online reservations: http://www.reserveame...­

Unfortunately they appear to be booked for those dates (pretty common in the summer-fall). There are USFS campgrounds outside Lincoln along Route 112 (Hancock would be the most convenient for you) but they are first-come, first serve. There are free primitive sites (no water, restrooms, etc) along Haystack and Gale River Roads, which also tend to get occupied pretty fast.

I've been recommended the Ammonoosuc Campground in Twin Mountain (~20-30 minutes North of your trailheads) a few times, though I've never stayed there. Might be worth a try: http://www.ucampnh.co...­. It's also been a while, but I've stayed at the Franstead Campground in Franconia in the past: http://franstedcampgr...­

Enjoy your hike! It's a great one, and will be even nicer if someone else can go along with you so you don't have to walk the bike path back to your car! I'm always up for a full Franconia Ridge traverse, but have other plans that weekend. Good luck!
Ian
user 14653005
Ballston Spa, NY
Post #: 4
Thanks for the info Matt, Very helpful! I have this trip posted on one other meetup group so fortunately I won't be solo on this adventure. And if anyone would like to join us feel free! I am looking forward to expanding into the Whites!
Ian
user 14653005
Ballston Spa, NY
Post #: 5
What a great trip! The Franconia Range was definitely a change of pace from the ADKS. Actually I think I am hooked. I am planning to do the Presidential Traverse on the 23rd, Starting at Rt.2 ending on 302. Can I trouble you once more for camping advice? The plan would be to do it as a one-day or hike in late Friday night sleep for a few hours to get an early start. Any advice would be helpful?
Matt D.
user 49456822
Natick, MA
Post #: 6
Awesome! Glad you enjoyed yourself, and Franconia Ridge is definitely the place to do it!

For a Presi Traverse, North to South is definitely the easier way to go (as you are planning it sounds like), the Northern Presis have some pretty awful rocky footing in stretches but the Southerns are pretty tame, plus the bulk of the elevation gain is in the North.

As far as camping advice, I haven't camped up along Rt 2 before so I don't have anywhere specific to recommend. There are a number of campgrounds along that road within a short drive of the trailhead, especially out towards the town of Jefferson. Gorham has some relatively inexpensive motels as well.

Enjoy!
Rich
user 149771862
Waterbury, CT
Post #: 1
Ian, if you're looking for a partner, I may be interested in doing this with you.
A former member
Post #: 11
Psychologically speaking going N-S on a Presidential traverse seems easier as one gets the bigger peaks out of the way first but do bear in mind going S-N offers a lot less elevation gain.
Ian
user 14653005
Ballston Spa, NY
Post #: 6
Thanks for the input guys! Very helpful. @Rich I might have one spot left, I will let you know at the end of the next week.
Rich
user 149771862
Waterbury, CT
Post #: 3
Rgr that Ian, thanks. Please email me either/or, and if you have any questions on gear or logistics in general for this trip.