Pediatrics Plus* Mommy and Baby Support Group Message Board › No Meet up 10/31

No Meet up 10/31

A former member
Happy Halloween,

Hope you are all safe and sound after that crazy storm. We will not be meeting tonight. I am attaching an article on milk storage with power outages. I hope you are all doing well. The next meet up will be schedule for November 7th. Hope to see you all then!

Stay Safe!

Kate

October 28, 2012

URGENT: Hurricane Sandy and Emergency Preparation/ Information for:

Mothers with Stored Human Milk and Pump Dependent Lactating Moms

This information came from USBC Chair Elect Dr. Kathie Marinelli (Connecticut) and we have her permission to share the following information:

As an active member of the USBC Emergencies Task Force I spoke by phone today with Geri Fitzgerald, our Task Force Chair. The question of what to do with frozen human milk in a power outage had come to me earlier today and I responded but wanted to talk to her for her wisdom as well. Neither of us is aware of any document that specifically discusses this situation, and we will hopefully remedy that once this crisis is past. In the meantime, from our discussion I will reiterate some things I said earlier and add some other insights:

•The *most important* thing in an emergency/disaster situation is to have a plan. That includes everything that fits your situation and family, including what to do with stored milk and what to do if *you are a pump-dependent mom*.

•For stored milk:

•Keeping milk in a freezer that is not opened as much as possible, and is packed as full as possible with other frozen food—including filling containers with water before the storm hits and filling the empty spaces in the freezer with them so they freeze into ice—is the best one can do at home without a generator.

•You can keep milk packed in a cooler with ice. Newspaper can be added as extra insulation. Frozen milk from donor milk banks is sometimes wrapped in newspaper to help with keeping it frozen for shipping.

•If a neighbor has power or a generator, see if you can store your milk there until the power is restored. •Any store near you that has a generator keeping its freezers/refrigeration going may be willing to store

your milk—ask!

•As long as the milk still has ice crystals in it, it is safe to either use, or refreeze once power is restored. Once it totally defrosts, it needs to be used within—and there is some disagreement about this—24-48 hours for healthy babies. For premature babies the rule is generally to use defrosted milk within 24 hours.

•If you get snow, you can use snow banks out of the sun to put frozen food in—I know—that is how we preserved food in the last Oct storm!!

•If you are a pump-dependent mom:

•Make sure you have a car adapter for your electric pump. If you don't have a car but know someone close by who does, make a plan ahead of time to see if you can use it to express milk. This is to feed your baby now and to keep you from becoming engorged, develop mastitis, and to keep your milk supply going. If you know how to hand express and are good and efficient at it, you can do fine, but the majority of women in the US do not know how to hand express to empty over the long haul.

•A good manual pump is another option, but make sure you have it before you need it.

•*Have a plan!*

This is not an official document of the USBC or its Emergencies Task Force. This is hopefully some information to help us get through Hurricane Sandy. For more information please go to the USBC Emergencies Web page:

www.usbreastfeeding.org/emergencies