Nearing the 10th anniversary of its formation, Multifaith Voices for Peace and Justice invites you to a free-speech event on Saturday March 16th at City Hall Plaza, for an exhibition of the American Friends Service Committee's "Eyes Wide Open" display about the costs of war. You can read more about this display at https://afsc.org/campaign/eyes-wide-open.
March 20, 2013 will be the 10th anniversary of the invasion of Iraq, and Multifaith Voices for Peace and Justice (MVPJ) will be highlighting the cost of continued war in our world. MJVP and others sponsored this display in May 2008 and we felt the event was moving and appropriate. Even more so now with continued (and expanded) hostilities around the world.
The display consists of pairs of boots identified with the names of California servicemen and women who have been killed in both Iraq and Afghanistan. They are placed so that attendees can walk between them, read the names on the identifying tags, and honor their service to our country. We also plan to display footwear to represent the deaths of civilian casualties, which greatly exceed our country's military deaths.
The display will be monitored at all times. The boots will be placed early in the morning on Saturday, March 16, and taken up again at sunset that day (approximately 7:30 p.m.).
- American Muslim Voice
- Beyt Tikkun
- CAIR-SFBA (Council on American- Islamic Relations)
- Catholic Community at Stanford
- Episcopal Lutheran Campus Ministry at Stanford
- First Congregational Church Palo Alto, UCC
- First Presbyterian Church of Palo Alto
- First United Methodist Church of Palo Alto
- Los Altos Voices for Peace
- Network for Spiritual Progressives
- Northern California Islamic Council
- Peninsula Peace and Justice Center
- Reach And Teach
- Santa Clara County Supervisor Dave Cortese
- SIREN (Services, Immigrant Rights, and Education Network)
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto
- West Bay Chapter of the Buddhist Peace Fellowship
If your organization is interested in being a co-sponsor of this event, please click here to provide us with your contact name and organization information, and we will be in touch quickly.