We're good to go for Saturday's Practice Tri! Looks to be a good group - around two dozen have RSVP'd on Meetup and Facebook. A few reminders:
- Please be prompt. Meet by 8:30, and be ready to huddle at 8:45 when we'll go over things. We should finish around 1 or 1:30 depending on how quickly you transition.
- Bring $6 admission. If you pass through the gate before 8am, you might avoid the toll.
- This is a practice, not a race. There is no fixed course; each leg has a time limit. While we won't all stay together the whole time, please transition quickly and on each leg, please head back at the half time so that you complete each leg within the allotted time (45 min. swim, 2 hr. ride, 1 hr. run).
- Work within what you are trained for and comfortable doing. You could potentially cover the equivalent of an Olympic distance triathlon within the allotted times. Since the legs are out & back, there's no need to cover more distance or time than you wish to.
- Water temp is likely around 60 degrees. Air temp likely to reach mid-60's, but may be cool and cloudy at the start, and sunny later on. Since there won't be any aid stations or sag, be sure you have what you need on each leg.
- Regarding any concerns about water quality - although it's a personal choice, I think we're fine given 48+ hrs since the rain. To be safe I always use the outdoor shower afterwards and hand sanitizer which I'll have at my car. Quality was good prior to Wednesday night's rain, and we have no new information since water is tested only once/week (sampled Mondays, announced Tuesdays by email and posted Wednesdays at http://smchealth.org/node/353).
- Review the bike course at http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/188172790, which involves a short busy section through downtown San Mateo, and a long, assertive climb up Crystal Springs. Cue sheets will be provided. There is also a flat alternative, to stay along the Bay Trail to Redwood Shores and back.
- The run is simply from our cars, south along the Bay Trail...30 minutes out, 30 minutes back. I'm told that achieving a negative split will be an accomplishment given prevailing headwinds on the return.
- While safety is paramount, this is by no means an official, marshalled, or regulated event. Organizers ARE NOT trained fitness professionals, and this practice is entirely at your own risk. We assume absolutely no legal responsibility for injury incurred at this or any event or meet posted on this site.
That about covers it. Get some good rest tonight, and we should have a great time tomorrow!