Hey there, Peoria Readers, welcome to our book club. Come on in, grab a cup of coffee and have a seat. We are hear to explore great books, have fun discussions and meet new friends.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Q: When do you meet? A: Second Monday of the month at 6:30. Please check the schedule, as this sometimes changes
- Q: Can I come occasionally? A: Yes! You aren't expected to come every month. It's nice if you can, but if you only are able to come occasionally, that's fine too.
- Q: How do you choose the books? A: Each month one active book club member hosts the event and chooses the book.
- Q: Any criteria for the books? A: We mostly read recent fiction. We'd like the books to be available in paperback and in print, so no brand new hardbacks. It's also a bonus if the book is available for the Kindle, since many of us now have one.
- Q: Are there membership fees? We ask each active member to pay $5 per year to cover the $144 fee to maintain the Meetup site. However, feel free to wait to see if you feel you will be active in the group before you pay. We also ask people to chip in a couple of dollars to cover the room rental and encourage people to purchase something from the coffee house/location we are at.
Welcome, Peoria Book Readers!
June 13 · 7:00 PM
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Victor Mancini, a medical-school dropout, is an antihero for our deranged times. Needing to pay elder care for his mother, Victor has devised an ingenious scam: he... Learn more
May 9 · 7:00 PM
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows and Mary Ann
The letters comprising this small charming novel begin in 1946, when single, 30-something author Juliet Ashton (nom de plume Izzy Bickerstaff) writes to her publisher to... Learn more
April 11 · 7:00 PM
The Big Read: The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
Let's join Peoria Reads on the Big Read, a community reading event. The book chosen is The Things They Carried, which depicts the men of Alpha Company: Jimmy Cross,... Learn more
March 14 · 7:00 PM
March: The Confession, By John Grisham
In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, Travis Boyette abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would... Learn more
February 8 · 7:00 PM
February Graphic Novel Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman
Every month we pick a book to read and discuss. One member each month will select the book and host the event.
Maus: A Survivor's Tale by Art Spiegelman
Maus is a... Learn more