addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Personal Growth Network Message Board Descriptions of Personal Growth Network › Reduce the Number of Emails

Reduce the Number of Emails

Dennis P.
denpratt
Group Organizer
Westwood, MA
Post #: 45
Are you distracted by the volume of automatically generated Meetup emails? One easy solution is simply to create a filter on your emailer to send all "Meetup.Com" messages to a special folder on your emailer, which you can review every few days.
- - > How to create a filter for all Meetup messages
- - > http://www.meetup.com...­

Alternatively, here is how you can dramatically decrease undesired Meetup emails from even being sent to you, yet still learn about community events that matter most to you.

First, decide which activity level you want:
  • (5) I am interested in only the PGN event I specifically signed up for! (I may live outside the state!)
  • (4) I only want to learn once a week about any PGN events occurring that week, even if I miss out on big or popular events.
  • (3) I want to hear about all PGN events, once -- but only once, when they are first announced. Don't send me reminders.
  • (2) I want announcements and reminders of PGN events. But, please don't inform me of any new Meetups groups, or give me usage tips.
  • (1) I am a super-active PGN member (e.g., an event organizer.) I need to keep track of everything that Meetup sends out, including new Meetups and usage tips.
Please note which of the above numbers most closely fits your current level of activity!

If you are a (1), you may leave this email now.
You are already receiving all PGN group and all Meet-up corporate emails.

If you are a (2) - (5), please continue:
  • Make sure that you are logged into Meetup
  • Open another window to this page so that you can still read these instructions.
    (Copy the URL of this page into another tab.)
  • Click here to access your "Accounts: Email and Notification"
Get Rid of Meet-up Corporate Notifications
  • In the section,:
    Updates About You
  • Uncheck these items:
    • New Meetup Groups
    • Updates from Meetup HQ
    • Meetup HQ Surveys
If you are a (2),
  • Congratulations, you have just gotten rid of the most distracting, most unnecessary emails from Meet-up corporate. You will continue to receive both invitations and reminders of every PGN event.
If you are (3) - (5), please continue:
Now, let’s reduce messages from PGN:

EDIT "Updates About Your Groups" for PGN
  • Scroll down; you will see all your groups listed down the left side.
    (If you are new to Meetup, you may have only one group -- Personal Growth Network.)
  • Click the EDIT link next to the name of the group from which you want to decreased Email.
Get only one notice of any upcoming event of this group:
  • Seven lines down, click on the pull-down menu for "Meetup Reminders".
  • Select "Never"
If you are a (3):
  • You are finished with this Meetup group. You may repeat this step for any other Meetup group.
    You will now get only one email invitation to any of this group's events. You will no longer get reminders from this group about its events.
    (Warning: Immediately RSVP to any interesting events when you see them, otherwise you well may forget about them and you will no longer be reminded.)
If you are (4)-(5), please continue:
Now, let's not even receive a notification when a new event is posted.
  • Unclick the second line.
    New Meetup is scheduled”.
If you are a (4):
  • You are finished. You may repeat these steps for any other Meetup group.
    You will now learn about this group's new events only through your Weekly Personal Calendar. (The down side: The Weekly Personal Calendar tells you only of events offered that week. Without lead time, you may not have time to respond and popular events may fill up before you learn of them.)
If you are a (5)
Now let's get rid of all notifications of a new event from this group.
  • Click on link Email Updates at the very top of the page.
  • Uncheck
    • Weekly Calendar(The Weekly Personal Calendar is probably the single most useful notification from Meetup. It delivers to you every Monday morning a convenient synopsis of that week's events from all your groups.)

• You are finished with this Meetup group. You may repeat for any other Meetup group.
    You will receive information only about those events that you find on your own by going to the site and RSVPing "Yes".

You may repeat these steps for any other groups you belong to.

I hope that tailoring these settings makes your PGN experience on Meetup much more useful and enjoyable!

-- Dennis
Dennis P.
denpratt
Group Organizer
Westwood, MA
Post #: 376
To create a filter on your Google Gmail reader, take these steps:
- Click on the sprocket on right hand side of the second line down of the Gmail home page.
- Select "Settings"
- Select "Filters and Blocked Addresses"
- Select "Create a New Filter"
- In the FROM field, type "*@Meetup.com

This will cause *all* meetup messages to be send to a different folder.
I highly recommend that you keep in your inbox emails that are from specific friends or that are from specific brands that you like.

- In the field, Doesn't Have, put in the brands and user names that you would like to keep in your in box. Separate each by "OR"
Example: HBS-128S OR Insight OR Dennis

- Click "Create Filter with this Search"
- Check box: Skip the Inbox
- Check Box: Apply the Label
- "Choose Label"
- Create a new Label
- Choose a name for the new label -- perhaps "Meetup"
- Click button "Create Filter"

This filter will then send all Meetup messages to a special folder called "Meetup" where you can review quickly everything and delete them in bulk. The messages from friends or from specific brands that you like (in this example, brands "HBS-128S" and "Insight", and friend "Dennis") will remain in your inbox.

You can amend this filter later to add other brands that you like.