|Sent on:||Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:41 PM|
Hi everyone -
It's time to start really getting to work on the 2012 Literary Tea which will be held on April 21, 2012 at the William Penn Hotel downtown. For those of you who are new to the book club since we held our last Tea in 2009, here's a little bit about it. The purpose of this event is to raise money to donate to the Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council. We select a book theme and decorate tables to represent a certain book in that theme. In 2008, we did classic novels and in 2009, we did Dr. Seuss. Both years the tables were fantastic! We also have a little lunch, listen to a speaker, have a Chinese auction, a silent auction and a 50/50 raffle.
The theme for 2012 is "From Page to Screen" - all books that have been made into movies.
This really fun event takes a lot of work to put together so I need some help. Below is a list of things you might want to volunteer for:
1. Decorate a table - Pick a book that fits the theme and decorate a table. To the people who have done a table in the past - this year you will only need to provide whatever you need to decorate. The hotel will supply tablecloths, dishes, glasses, tea cups, and silverware. The sooner you let me know you want to decorate a table and what book you want to use, the more time you will have to work on your ideas.
2. Help find a speaker for the Tea - The speakers for the other two Teas were local children's book authors. Do you happen to know a local author, storyteller, or someone who has something to do with books who would want to speak for us? Preferably someone who won't charge us too much or who may even donate their talents to a good cause. Even if you don't know anyone, would you be willing to make some phone calls to help us find someone?
3. Sell 50/50 raffle tickets at the Tea
4. Assist with the Chinese auction - setting up and/or selling tickets
5. Help finding sponsors. I'm in the process of finding a company or several companies to sponsor us to pay for the food that the hotel will provide. It would be great if we could get one company to do this for us. If not, we'll need several to donate small amounts of money. Please email me if you have ideas of companies or individuals who would like to donate money.
If you want more information about anything I've mentioned above or if you know you want to decorate a table, just reply to this email. Thanks in advance for any help you can give!