Pgh Tech Meetup Message Board › PGH Tech Meetup Newsletter
|A former member||
PGH TECH MEETUP WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
August 3, 2012
PGH TECH PITCHFEST 2012!
On July 19, PGH Tech Meetup held its first annual Pitchfest! at the Revv Oakland. Pitchfest had over 50 members in attendance and a wonderful mock panel that listened to the pitches and gave valuable feedback to the pitchers.
The companies that pitched were:
• Rick Cancelliere of Treatspace (email@example.com[/url])
• Nilesh Jethwa of InfoCaptor (firstname.lastname@example.org[/url])
• Nick Santillo of Kratopia (email@example.com[/url])
• Qinlin Luo of Prime Aim Technology LLC (firstname.lastname@example.org[/url])
• Todd Medema of AutoRef (email@example.com[/url])
• Joel Cogley of Blipos (firstname.lastname@example.org[/url])
• Charles Dolan of Sequoia Waste Solutions (email@example.com[/url])
• Mike Kane of cellhelmet™ (firstname.lastname@example.org[/url])
• Carey Wasa of Needmybooks.com
• Eric Silver of Pikimal LLC (email@example.com[/url])
Checkout photos and comments from Pitchfest 2012! at PGH Tech Meetup and @pghtechmeetup on Twitter.
To everyone who attended, the generous guest panel of judges, and Revv Oakland; thank you for making Pitchfest 2012 one great event. SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!
Pittsburgh Technology Counsel
• WHAT: Membership Meet and Greet: New and Renewing Members Welcome!
• WHEN: Monday, August 06, 2012, 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
• WHERE: Pittsburgh Technology Council, 2000 Technology Drive, Suite 100, Pittsburgh 15219
• ABOUT: Join the Pittsburgh Technology Counsel for their monthly membership meet and greet! This event provides an opportunity for members to learn more about our current offerings and meet our staff. You will be able to introduce yourself and give a 30 second pitch about your company. Learn more about utilizing special discounts, benefits and services available only to Council members. Seating will be limited for this event, so please register soon!
• COST: This event is open to Members only. For information on becoming a member, please contact the Membership team at firstname.lastname@example.org[/url]
TiE-LESS Summer Mixer
• WHAT: It’s totally Business Casual. No Heavy Discussion. Just Come and Network! Limited to the first 110 Guests. Pre-registration is required by August 6.
• WHEN: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 5:30 – 8:00 pm
• WHERE: Roland’s in the Strip District, 2nd Floor
• 1904 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh 15222
• ABOUT: Register at www.pittsburgh.tie.org
• COST: Members, $10, Non-Members, $15
• Free appetizer buffet and cash bar.
Pittsburgh Chapter of AUVSI hosting a social hour at CBW
• WHAT: The Pgh Chapter of AUVSI (Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International) is having a social hour at Church Brew Works. The meeting is to encourage robotics people, or those interested in promoting robotics in the Pittsburgh area to socialize. They said they'd love to have some of the other folks from Pgh Tech attend. Last month they did a whiskey sampling at a micro-distillery in the strip and everyone had a great time. This will be another great way to meet tech people in the 'burgh, so everyone is encourages to attend if you can! RSVP to email@example.com[/url] is requested, but not required.
• WHEN: Monday, August 27, 2012, 5:30 PM
• WHERE: Church Brew Works, 3525 Liberty Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15201
• COST: $12.50 and includes 7 samples (each 5 oz.), tour of CBW, and bar snacks.
TechVibe Radio Features Features Donwil and SDLC Partners
Be sure to tune in to TechVibe Radio this Saturday at noon on FM News Talk 104.7.
• SDLC Partners will talk about its blistering growth rate having just hired its 300th employee!
• Donwil will detail its 2012 Data Center Solutions Tour that will make a stop the PTC’s offices on Aug. 21.
• Hosted by the PTC’s CEO Audrey Russo and Director Visibility Initiatives Jonathan Kersting, TechVibe is on the air every Saturday at noon bringing you interviews and conversations from the Pittsburgh region’s fast-moving technology and entrepreneurial communities.
Pittsburgh Crowd-Funding Meetup
• Mike Kane, CEO and Co-Founder of cellpig.com recently started a Pittsburgh area crowd funding meetup that looks very interesting. Check it out and become a member at Pittsburgh Crowd-Funding Meetup.
Carnegie Mellon Computer Scientist Luis von Ahn Receives Presidential Research Award
• U.S. President Barack Obama named Carnegie Mellon University computer scientist Luis von Ahn as a recipient of the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE), the highest honor bestowed by the United States government on science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their independent research careers. Read more.
Everything you ever wanted to know about building a secure password reset feature
• Troy Hunt, software architect and Microsoft MVP, writes about password resets being a key weak point in most security systems, but are generally not given much development time compared to mission critical features. Don't shortchange your users with poor security. Read more.
Why Do Startups Do This?
• Owen Winkler writes about how to link to your own site in all your online pages, posts, and material. You have a perfect venue for writing about how your company is moving into the future. The blog is the correct place for this. But, you must do two very important things on your blog that you are not doing. Read more.
Overfocus on tech skills could exclude the best candidates for jobs
• Mike Loukides, writes that hiring isn’t about finding the perfect applicant: it’s about what happens after the new employee shows up. Read more.
Pgh Tech Meetup is preparing TWO big initiatives:
1) Mentor Program - To help connect Meetup members so that you can learn one-on-one from each other. There's a wealth of experiences in the group, so let's put them to work! Please take the VERY brief (there's only 4 required questions) survey to let us know if you're interested!
2) Tech Connection - With over 350 members, there is definitely someone in the group that is connected to someone you'd like to know. Pgh Tech would like to help you find potential customers in the Pittsburgh area. On the same survey there is a question regarding who you're targeting with your company's product or service. Please fill out the survey so we can help get you connected!
Be sure to tune in to TechVibe Radio every Saturday at 12:00 PM on FM News Talk 104.7 or stream TechVibe Radio on www.wpgb.com or iHeart Radio. The Pittsburgh Technology Council’s Audrey Russo and Jonathan Kersting interview local entrepreneurs, business leaders and stakeholders behind the Pittsburgh region’s fast-moving technology industry. Be sure to listen to previous broadcasts right here[/url].
We're now on Facebook!
Meetup is great and we'll keep our presence there - but to support more casual networking and to help the group connect more frequently than our in-person Meetups, we've created a page on Facebook. Event information will be posted here and on Meetup.com, so please drop by to Like the page and stay connected to all the fantastic people of Pittsburgh Tech Meetup.
Pgh Tech Meetup is a regular venue for technology entrepreneurs and enthusiasts to:
- give a cool technology demo
- give an elevator pitch
- listen to a keynote
- see a tutorial
- meet like-minded people
- share ideas
- discuss the hottest trends
JOIN US AT OUR NEXT EVENT!
If anyone has information about an upcoming Tech Event or Tech News they would like to see in the next newsletter, please forward any information to firstname.lastname@example.org[/url].
To be removed from this newsletter please send an email with your Meetup Username and the word UNSUBSCRIBE in the body of the email to email@example.com[/url].
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Brought to you by:
PGH Tech Meetup