addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Philadelphia Cassandra Users Message Board › Next Meetup - Cassandra 101

Next Meetup - Cassandra 101

Alex C.
user 78415872
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 2
Hi everyone,
At the end of the last meetup the thought was to have the next meetup be an overview of Cassandra to bring some of our members up to speed so that we could do a deeper dive into specific topics after that.
Whoever is interested please post on this discussion thread along with if you have a preference of a specific date. I'm thinking we should try and do this sometime between April 30-May2.
I can present and host at HMS but if anyone else is interested in either presenting or hosting then let me know.
Thanks,
Alex
A former member
Post #: 1
I'd definitely be interested in attending that discussion, and April 30 - May 2 would probably work well for me.
A former member
I'm also interested in that discussion, and the dates are fine. Thursdays (which is the same day the first meeting was held) are best for me, I have another obligation on Wednesdays.
Brian E.
user 3111305
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Unfortunately out of town that whole week. But that topic would be useful I think and also would like to lead into data modeling concepts. I think many people who are RDBMS conversant, data modeling is a big initial hurdle, maybe next meeting?
Michael R.
user 9068030
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 7
Any interest in bringing this (or an encore presentation of this) to PhillyDB­ on 5/21?
Alex C.
user 78415872
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 3
Hi Michael,
I can't do 5/21 but I'd be happy to share the knowledge with PhillyDB. Let's first figure out the date when we will do this topic for this meetup and then we can coordinate for an encore at PhillyDB.
Thanks,
Alex
Michael R.
user 9068030
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 8
Cool, thanks. Please email me directly when you're ready to discuss this further.
dave b.
user 82405702
Warwick, MD
/me checks his watch
Alex C.
user 78415872
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 4
Hi Dave,
You're right :-)
There wasn't enough interest in doing a separate session for an intro to Cassandra so I'm trying to figure out how and when to piggy back on a session that would have interest to a larger group.
As soon as I have any details to share I will.
Thanks for keeping me honest.
dave b.
user 82405702
Warwick, MD
Post #: 2
Some ideas. see if any of them perk anyone's interest

VNodes - This is relatively small, and could piggy back on an intro to cassandra... Would need to explain RF/CL failure & repair, and why vnodes is better for repair.

Moving from thrift to CQL/Understanding CQL & the new network protocol

Managing Cassandra, How to repair, replace, add nodes in a cluster, change settings, using nodetool, dse to monitor its state

As an alternative, don't know if the group would be interested in developing a client of some sort for cassandra and working thru learning via a real-app-experience.