Got student debt? Join us for a rally, guerrilla street theater, and rousing good time at the Department of Education office in Philly to demand relief from student debt and free higher education for all!
We demonstrate in solidarity with Jobs with Justice's national day of action at Department of Education offices to demand a renegotiation of the DOE's contract with Sallie Mae - the world's largest private student debt collector - to inform debtors about Income-Based Repayment (IBR). IBR can substantially reduce or even eliminate monthly payments, depending on income level. See more at http://ibrinfo.org/
For more info see our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/832170323464128/
This event brought to you by Strike Student Debt! http://strikestudentdebt.tumblr.com/
1. Automatic enrollment in Income-Based Repayment (IBR) for ALL student debtors. Currently IBR is only available for federal student loans – it should be extended to private loans as well. We also want the repayment period to be reduced from 20-25 years down to 10 years before outstanding debt is canceled.
2. Restoration of bankruptcy protections for student debtors, which were stripped away as recently as 2005. Abolition of the “Brunner test” to qualify for bankruptcy by proving “excessive hardship” in paying student debts.
3. Reversing tuition hikes through increased federal and state funding for education. More Pell grants and scholarships, especially for students from working class backgrounds. We also demand budget transparency, so students know whether their tuition is being spent on education or on capital projects.
4. Release of employment, income, and debt figures for graduates of each higher education institution, 2 years and 5 years after graduation. A school’s data must be sent to each person receiving an application to that school, so they can decide with the full information whether it is in their best long-term interests to attend.
5. Our ultimate demand is the abolition of student debt and free higher education for all.