ALL POTENTIAL MEMBERSPlease read the following information and links prior to joining our group:WHO WE ARE
About this Meetup Group
Welcome to the The Philadelphia Hip Single Parents Meetup Group! We are a group of active single parents in the Philadelphia area who like to get together and have fun. While most of the emphasis is on kid friendly events, we will have kid free events from time to time. This is your group. Please make suggestions on what kind of events you would like to have and how to make the group better for you.
The Philadelphia Hip Single Parents Meetup group is different from many other on line groups in that we actually do meet in person and most of our members are active in the group. Ideally, we usually have at least one get together (meet up) per month and often more than that. In addition, many members get together amongst themselves in smaller groups in between events. The reason for this is that some parents enjoy large groups with lots of other kids and others do better in smaller more intimate settings. Whatever the case may be for you, you are welcome to join us. The key is, we try to stay active and encourage members to stay active as well. While we are much more than an on-line only group, our Message Board
is usually pretty active.
Membership is open to all single parents in and around the Philadelphia area. However, your acceptance into the group will be based on your profile being completely filled out so please be sure to fill it out completely. There is also a place to upload a picture and we recommend it but don't require it. It does make it much easier to recognize you at events.
The only things we ask of you as a member are as follows.
1. Please RSVP for all events even if you can't make it! While some events may be posted on short notice, the overwhelming majority of our events will be posted at least 2 weeks prior to the event so this should not be a problem. As you probably already know, the term R.S.V.P. comes from the French expression "répondez s'il vous plaît", meaning "please respond". When you RSVP for an event, you will have the option to leave a comment. Make sure the comment section on your RSVP relates to the event itself. If you have a question or comment about something unrelated to the event, please email me or post it on the message board. Your comments are important so please feel free to share them.
2. If you RSVP "YES" for an event, please attend and try to arrive on time or as close to on time as possible. I have 2 kids so I know things come up and being on time can be difficult sometimes but try to make every effort to show up if you have RSVP'ed "YES". It is also a good idea to exchange cell phone numbers with me or someone else attending the event so we can keep in touch the day of the event (I am happy to give you mine if you email me). I usually try to arrive 10-15 minutes early for events and will usually wait around for 10-15 minutes after the start time but with a bunch of kids, waiting more than that can be a chore in itself. If you end up "blowing off" an event you RSVPed "Yes" for, please try to contact me within a few days to let me know you are ok so we don't worry about you.
3. If you RSVP "MAYBE", please update your RSVP as the event gets closer (hopefully within 1 or 2 days of the event) so we can make proper arrangements if needed. While we don't have a deadline for RSVP's, it makes it much easier if we know how many members to expect for an event.
4. Please fill out the post-event survey that is automatically emailed to you after the event. This is important and helps make the group better as well as helps the organizer plan future events.
5. Participate! Participate in the Message Boards and Polls as well as the events. Your ideas and suggestions will help us determine when and where to plan our next event. Remember, we want you to enjoy yourself and get as much out of the group as you can. One way to do this is to stay "Active"! (In other words, please visit the site at least once a month. Meetup reserves the right to remove group members who are inactive over 3 months.) See below for the definition of being "Active."
7. Be Active: Being "Active" means just that! Do something on the group site at least once every 1-2 months, if not more often. Being Active consists of updating your Profile, posting on the Message Boards, Voting in the Polls, and last but not least, RSVP'ing for events! You are considered "Active" by both Meetup and the Group if you participate in the Group within a 3-month time span. Of course, we would prefer to see you Active within a couple weeks to a month as we do have at least 1-2 events on the calendar at all times and are always open to your suggestions (on the Message Boards) and opinions (in the Polls).
8. Keep your email current. Afterall, it is how we keep in touch via the computer.
9. Attend: Please join us at one of our events. Please do not join our group if you do not plan to attend a Meetup. We realize that every event will not appeal to everyone but since there are so many of them and they are so varied, we hope you will find something that peaks your interest. We are trying to build a sense of community where everyone knows one another. The whole purpose of Meetup is just that - to Meetup in person to get to know one another. In any given 3-month period there will be 3-6 Meetups for you to attend with up to one dozen events in any 6-month period.
10. Finally, please know you can always contact the Group Organizer with any questions, comments, concerns, suggestions or ideas. Our goal is to make this group a fun experience for you!