Philly Book Club - all genres, downtown cafe Message Board › Book suggestions for April

Book suggestions for April

A former member
Post #: 1
Good morning everyone! In advance of presenting these books in person at our February meet-up, I wanted to let everyone know what titles I'm going to be offering up to consider for April. Since once of the books that caught my eye was over the 400-page mark, I decided to offer 4 choices for consideration rather than 3.

All of these books are different sorts of American travelogues/memoirs, and all of them are available at the library.

1. Isabella L. Bird, A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains (1879); 206 pp.
2. William Least Heat-Moon, Blue Highways: A Journey into America (1982); 448 pp.
3. Peter Jenkins, A Walk Across America (1979); 320 pp.
4. John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley in Search of America (1962); 275 pp.

I'm hoping to find more time to add further information about the books to the message board -- but in case things at the job get harried, I wanted to make sure that the basic information was sent out.

Have a great week!
Sherri
A former member
Post #: 2
SHerri,

I think these are interesting choices. I would vote for "A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains". I have always been a little put-off by the "searching for America theme" We can discuss why at the book club. I am guessing with "Lady" I might learn some interesting facts.

- Thomas Farrell