align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Philly Book Club - all genres, downtown cafe Message Board › Book Recommendations:

Book Recommendations:

jess
sifter
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 28
Here is a space for us to post books that we highly recommend or that have been recommended by others.
These can include choices we have brought to our meetups that were not picked for our monthly discussions as of yet. If you are planning to bring our 3 choices for a future meetup, feel free to refer to this thread for ideas. And for those avid readers who read several or more books a month too. :)
A former member
Post #: 6
I was wondering if anyone had short story recommendations. For example, I like Amy Bloom's "Silver Water," Flannery O'Connor's "Parker's Back, " Isabelle Allende's "An Act of Vengeance," and Haruki Murakami's "The Elephant Vanishes."
A former member
Post #: 23
If you like Flannery O'Cconnor, you may want to check out Alice Munro's stories. I find her style spare and moving, but her understanding of character is rich with complexity.

In case you are unfamiliar with her work, I would recommend looking at "Selected Stories," which is an array of work before 2000 and includes one of my favorites, "The Albanian Virgin." Another collection I like is "Too Much Happiness," published a year or two ago, and "Love of a Good Woman," from the late 90's.

If you seek out her work, please let me know what you think. -jeanne
A former member
Post #: 3
Grab anything else by Murakami that you can lay your hands on. You might also consider Jorge Borges from South America. He hits some of the same notes.