Jetta and Justine

Steve S.
80s-fashion-show
Group Organizer
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1,413
Black and white zebra stripes:

They remind me so much of.
But if you look at, the purple hair does not destroy the integrity of the picture!
Thanks to Ozlem­ and Ryan­ for sharing!
Ryan S.
user 65509902
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 26
The purple hair is the closest to a natural tone that I could highlight from jet black. It also matches the specs Ozlem has posted from her colouring of Jetta. Thanks for the share on meetup.
Steve S.
80s-fashion-show
Group Organizer
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1,414
Curious, what is the definition of a natural tone?
How do they apply to
where Rapture's hair color is darker than blonde?
Ozlem A.
user 64299442
Sydney, AU
Post #: 46
I think what Ryan is talking about from an artistic point of view is coloring something in straight flat colors as opposed to coloring something with shadows & highlights for which you would use lighter or darker tones. Because both white & black are not technically colors, the way highlights, shadows & depth is portrayed in black hair for instance is by using blues, purples & silver grays through the coloring painting to achieve the same effect as say, a light source putting shine on the hair. Like this example of Wonder Woman you can see the difference between the uncolored line art, the straight flat colors in the middle picture & the more realistic one with the highlights & shadows.

By the way for anyone that's interested this image is from The Art of Roberto Campus blog site & you see more of his tutorial on the way he does his digital art here http://www.robertocam...­
Ryan S.
user 65509902
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 27
I think Ozlem got my intent about coloured hair. There is a point where simplicity is inherent in the design of the colour palette and conforms to one colour in each shape, especially in 80s cartoons, but I find it a challenge to conform to that rule when I start to get creative with the illusion. With Rapture I chose to deepen her hair to maybe more like the doll? After looking at Jetta as a doll I surmounted that I had some work to do with her hair shading. Ozlem chose to highlight her paint of Jetta with white lines instead of black lines in the hair waves. I like how she does this, but have tried to concentrate on the way that light bends on the concentrated negative space with the equal bright space. Even black line creates a subtractive negative value that illuminates as shadow from a distance and expands to the natural cornea. I found these ideas really reflective from watching shows like the Simpsons, where the characters are boldly lined, to create a 3 dimensional illusion to the naked eye.

As for my choice of colours... Let's say that I enjoy picking matching shades and tints to create a complex blend so that the finished painting looks more majestic or full in body without looking too blocky. The latest series of line art from Ozlem are some of my favourite to play with for colouring due to their amazing detail and craftsmanship.
Steve S.
80s-fashion-show
Group Organizer
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 1,415
Well, keep up the good art, both of you!cool

Ryan S.
user 65509902
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 28
cool No Problem Steve. Keeping it cool like back in the 80s!