Phoenix Scooter Club Message Board Fixes, Mods & Scooter Reviews › Buddy 125: Cleaning The Carburetor?

Buddy 125: Cleaning The Carburetor?

A former member
Post #: 1
Calling all Buddy owners and/or gearheads...after reading a few discussion threads at ModernBuddy.com (especially this one), I would like to try cleaning the carburetor on my wife's scooter. Based on what I've read, this will likely get her scooter out of the garage and back on the road.

Has anyone tried this before? I have a general idea where the carburetor is (under the seat), but I am by no means Mr. Goodwrench.

Any help or pictures or step-by-step instruction would be greatly appreciated.
A former member
Post #: 1
Be careful. I don't have a schematic and can't advise you specifically, but you can really mess things up if you damage or lose a part.

I would take it to a shop, but if you are determined then make sure you take photos of hose routing and connections before taking it off. Use only correct tools so you don't strip anything. Use a cloth to lay parts on so they don't roll away. Use safety glasses when using any kind of carb cleaner. When you squirt that stuff in, it always comes out someplace else and it's always right where you are looking. It's dangerous stuff, and painful. Don't ask me how I know.

carb parts are precise metering devices. Screwing them up just a little can cause severe running problems. Use caution.

Once more, I urge you to use a professional. (Or at least a buddy that has greasy fingers)
A former member
Post #: 3
Speaking of professionals ... is this something you would be able to service at Chandler Vespa? ( I read your profile bio. biggrin )
A former member
Post #: 2
It is something we could do and we can discuss it a bit at the meetup next Friday night if you want. I'll be honest with you, it can be a bit pricey. I will be at the meetup and can answer your questions as well as other questions members might have about shop labor rates and how come it seems to cost so much for what seems to be a small job. We will put on a clinic in our store in the near future on what to do when storing a vehicle, even for a short time, so that these costly little issues can be avoided and we can all spend more time riding and less time fixing. cool
A former member
Post #: 89
My two cents ( since I'm not in the scooter biz), is put some Seafoam (sold at Pep boys) about 1cup to a tank and run it through. If that doesn't work then dive in to the carb.
True the carb is sensitive but on our 125's it's not that scary.
Check out a buddy site and I'm sure you can find a the tips you need.
A former member
Post #: 3
I have heard of Seafoam with positive feedback. I have not tried it, but it's certainly worth a shot before tearing into the carb or paying a stiff repair bill.
A former member
Post #: 2