By popular demand photographer turned dentist Dr. Vu Le is returning to Photography Basics Class. In this class he will be teaching how to get big results with minimal lighting equipment. He will discuss the fundamentals behind small flash photography as well as discuss the techniques that made Joe McNally, David Hobby, and Zack Arias into internet lighting superstars. Then he'll distill it down to techniques that you can use THAT DAY, using less than $100 in lighting equipment. Hands on shooting exercises will be provided.
1. Review the exposure triangle: ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed
2. Learn the lighting star: ISO, Aperture, Power, Distance, Diffuser
3. Finding consistent manual exposure
4. Single flash lighting techniques: fill flash, ceiling bounce, wall bounce
5. Off camera lighting technique: wall bounce, ceiling bounce, umbrella
6. Determining accurate exposure
7. Selecting the best equipment for your budget
8. Troubleshooting and problem solving
1. Intermediate working knowledge of your camera: how to turn it on, how to set white balance, ISO and manual exposure
2. Working understanding of exposure: f/stops, shutter speeds and ISO
What to bring:
1. Your camera - it MUST have a manual exposure mode (an M mode on the dial). DSLR or high end mirrorless highly suggested.
2. A normal or short telephoto lens. Your included kit zoom will be fine. Anything 50 to 85mm will probaby be fine. Keep your ultrawides and[masked] beasts at home.
2. An external speedlight flash with manual power control. Nikon SB600 and up, Canon 420EX and up.
3. Radio triggers - if you have them, bring them
About the instructor:
Vu Le, DDS is a founding member of Saddleback PICS, the "Photographers in Christ's Service" of Saddleback Church. He has photographed baptisms, babies, platinum recording artists, and heads of state. Photography is an integral part in his general dentistry practice in Foothill Ranch, CA.