addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 1
Hello all,
I am interested in photography but have had zero education/training and was wondering what resources (books, classes in Madison or at UW) you would recommend to someone who loves a great picture but knows nothing about the behind the scenes...and most importantly who is eager to learn the craft (that is if learning in the right verb). Thanks for your suggestions!!!
Alfredo
user 4392954
Madison, WI
Post #: 15
you can try this http://scottkelby.com...­
and his training web site: http: http://kelbytraining....­

Hope this helps.
Alfredo
Ryan E.
user 23023011
Madison, WI
Post #: 11
Welcome to the group Ligia. MATC college here in Madison offers courses that are called enrichment classes that are not for credit/degree's. Here is a link to the current offerings. Go to page 4 when you click the link for the photo classes. http://matcmadison.ed...­

Also, there is a place called The Center for Photography in Madison. Our organizer, Adam, takes classes there. http://www.cpmad.org/...­

Other than that, read as much as you can on anything you can get your hands on. The internet is great for info. And just take tons of pictures & you'll start understanding your camera more. And of course, attend meetups with the group. We are all here to learn from each other!

Ryan

Marlene J.
marlenejo
Marlborough, MA
Post #: 181
The UW Madison has extension classes that are helpful for composition and portraits. Pretty reasonable also. The teacher's name is Jessie. Also Camera Company has beginner classes that are reasonable.
A former member
Post #: 1
My suggestion is to find a mentor in the field your interested in. For example if you like nature photography find a nature photographer that will take you under his or her wing. I was fortunate to have a fashion photographer take me under his wing when I lived and worked in New York. I am still in contact with him today and travel to and from NY on occasion to work with him.

I mentored a couple of past MATC students...one has gone on to start her own wedding photography business.

Figure out what it is that interest you the most photography wise and build on that. Just because your a photographer doesnt mean you can photograph everything. For example, I photograph mainly fashion, commercial and technical and am pretty good at it, I am always working on improving my craft, but I cant take pic of a landscape, child, or pet to save my life!

Most photographers that are willing to share information would love the chance to have an "intern" work with them. Its a win win as you dont have to pay tuition and they dont have to pay you...and you will learn by doing! Just my two cents worth.
A former member
Post #: 3
Thank you David! I did the books, magazines, took the courses and field trips. I truly enjoy photography and want to do more than just a hobby. I do need a mentor. I am interested in people photography (children), also have the passion of fashion photography, but don't have any access to the field. I want to find an "intern" job in Madison where I can improve my skills, and learn about the photography business. Do you have any suggestions?

Anybody knows who is looking for interns in madison? Any idea/ lead is greatly appreciated!
A former member
Post #: 2
Bridal shows are great places to meet lots of photographers under one roof. Special Event photographers can be found at all kinds of events, ie, dance recitals, beauty pageants, baseball tournaments, the mall at Christmas time with Santa Claus Lots of amusements in the Dells have Special Events photographers.. There are some professional organizations ie capital District Wedding Association is how I got started in weddings when I lived in New York.

There is nothing more impressive then a little shoe leather work! Meaning don't be afraid to go knocking on doors. When I had my studio, I was in the middle of a shoot with a model for a magazine when this bubbly young lady came in and told me she was going to MATC in Madison and wanted to learn from me. She said she liked my style... She wanted to be my intern she said... I thought what the heck....she liked photographing children, seniors, and weddings, so I gave her a shot...She told ME UP FRONT that she someday wanted to have her own business, which I appreciated....since I don't focus on photographing families, seniors, children , etc...I thought we would be a good mix. It worked well for a few years, she got married is doing her own thing...I still refer many of wedding clients to her....

Oh...The first wedding she did with me I gave her one of my SLR's and told her to go shoot. I told her how to to use the camera and what settings to be on. Well she didn't listen and the pics for the most part were unusable. She learned from it which was the whole point. I learned what she liked to photograph, and her eye for detail.

Some photographers may be reluctant to take you under their wing for fear they are training their competition. Dont let this discourage you.

Brian S
briangs
Madison, WI
Post #: 247
Ligia, were you able to find any suitable photo lessons? This group is open to all levels and the meetings are educational so just attending them and posting your photos is a good way to learn. May I ask why you are not participating in this group?
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you all for the suggestions. I have been back in Madison for a month now and have found your suggestions useful. I did not join a class. No time when you are writing a PhD dissertation. But hoping to spend time with photographers. The mentor suggestion sound like the best think right now that I have a camera (well the kind of camera I was hoping to play with a little more). So if anyone is going on any kind of photo walk, or shoot, and would not be too bothered by an amateur willing to learn, please let me know. I am going abroad again at the end of this month so anything I can learn during this time will be precious. Thanks a lot again, and looking forward to hearing from potential mentors :)
Brian S
briangs
Madison, WI
Post #: 249
Welcome back. Yes a dissertation sounds time consuming. Our July calendar has several events so hopefully you can attend some of those before you leave again. I'm unclear about your level and goals. Do you have a point and shoot and want to take better photos? Or a dSLR and want to learn the photography profession from a mentor?